Putting Manufactured Home Under a Homeowners Policy

It depends if it is a HUD or BOCA rated home. BOCA is better quality building materials and can usually go on a homeowners insurance policy with most companies. HUD rated homes are lesser quality and should be placed on a Mobile Homeowners Insurance policy based on the loss history for those types of homes. In the long run your loss ratio will be in much better shape if you write these policies correctly and not try to slide some mobile homes on a standard homeowners policy.

Good idea or bad?

in event of a loss or fire will they be covered?

Are you quoting it on a manfactured home policy? Some carriers do not allow manufactured homes on their homeowners policies. I have access to several mobile home carriers if you need help.

I had this same question. I'm a college senior, just got licensed in SC. The area I will be working is mostly mobile homes and such. Thanks guys for answering this for me.

Exactly, most home insurance companies will not allow mobile/manufactured homes to be covered under an HO3. Most of the time these are covered under Dwelling Fire Policies with no replacement cost on the structure. I would recommend checking with the company you are writing coverage with. You don't want to write something incorrectly and find out at the time of loss that it is not covered.

Back