Putting on a New Agent... Other's Experiences Appreciated.

G.Gordon

Guru
1000 Post Club
Missouri
Mid 40's, somewhat experienced.

What do others offer as far as support (leads, money, office ).

Last experience was a disaster. Turns out we might have paid him too much and didn't inspect enough for results.

What products are you going to have them sell?
In my experience with this, leads are always the crux of everything. I think a fair contract with low to no cost leads works great at first until they prove they can do the job and then over time the contract % goes up as well as their lead costs. As for office, phones etc, if it doesn't cost you anymore to have them there, I see no need to charge them for it, just make sure the contract levels you give take that into account as well.

Typical senior plans, part D, MAPD, Medigap, FE.

I would never give anyone in this field a salary as it makes them lazy. Discounted Leads, great training, and an office are more than fair IMO. I would start them low on the F.E. side with a 6 month max advance until they prove themselves. As for the other products, unless they are assigning commissions, you don't have that type of leeway obviously.

Try this; ask the person how much do you need to make a month the bare minimum to pay your bills and get to work everyday?

If he/she says $2000 say ok I can do $1600 base and your sales will easily add up to more than $2000. Just reduce the base by $400 or so to make sure they stay hungry and write business.

Here is the way we are leaning. We are paying her less than she needs for stated reasons. No benefits. We are going LOA and assigned commissions for the other obvious reasons. Do others pay them w2 or 1099 when the agency is being paid?

Here is the pay structure I'm considering.

$x.oo plus 50/50 split on her sales until the first full week in January.

Then reduce the $x and increase the split and do it again in a quarter and then keep that trend until the one year anniversary. Then she's only making what she earns.

Back