Pyramid: Today's Options MA and MA-PDP

I agree 110% with you Frank. The old saying "a chain is only as strong as it'e weakest link" certainly holds true just like that girl that caused you the problems getting your part D was your "weak link".

Hi, fellow Ins agents! The Nov 15 sign-up period is upon us, and I'm just entering this after many years of being an investment and annuity guy... plus two years having been out of the industry entirely due to family health problems. My goal is to return to financial planning but with more emphasis on seniors via the entre of senior-related products. So, May I request of you some advice?

What best Field Marketing Organization would you recommend were you an independent like me. That is, I can see myself as a manager one day, but I just want to revive my practice as described above, and have few resources due to the family crisis noted above.

For example, I understand that Parker Brokerage has many complaints from reps, that Senior Healthcare Consultants is WAY restrictive, and I have some doubts about Senior Solutions too. I worry about trusting in vague future opportunities in return for low commissions. I need cost-netted leads, compliance training, sales training (I'm excellent at self-study if that's possible in the MA & related fields, and I have mastered many designations such as CFP). I'm just a total newbie at Medicare Supp & related products, however.

I don't mind a GA making money on my commissions, if it's worth it. I really mind loss of trail commissions should I ever leave a given FMO. That danger has not been clarified by any of the GAs I've interviewed with!

What do y'all think of which career startegy to take (for North Carolina), by company, etc., and is there a way to be independent & decide on the best products rather than have to ram the FMO line down consumers' throats?

Many thanks for your kind assistance, and BEST 2U all!

I appreciate your practice in finding out if providers accept the PFFS. If more agents did this, there would be a lot less problems in the MA market. Most of the points you made are on target.

However, Humana certainly isn't a toe dipper in the MA market but in fact has been it from the beginning. IIRC they have more members enrolled in MA plans in Fla. than all other companies combined and are second only to United nationwide.

Pyramid is making a big push to get into the MA market, but this is the first year that they have offered their plan in more than a handful of states. They are also a much smaller company than many of the major players like Humana and United and are apparently going for broke with the push into the MA market. I'm glad you have had a good experience with them so far, but if anyone is a "toe dipper" it's Pyramid, not Humana.

Regarding support, if you are independent and had sold Humana before, the problem may have been with your MGA, not Humana. I can call the Agent Service Center and get basically any question answered almost immediately.
I am finding everyones comments to be very interesting, but I have to contend, Today's Options was in 35 states last year (a bit more than a few). Otherwise, thanks for the insights one and all.

Oh, and fixer Dad, I can give you street level commissions (as quoted above) with 1st day vesting if you want. Just PM me and I will give you the details on who I work with and how we operate. Anyone who build the ability to take your commissions if you leave is kind of a creep. If you sell it and service it, then you should be the one getting paid for it.

I am finding everyones comments to be very interesting, but I have to contend, Today's Options was in 35 states last year (a bit more than a few). Otherwise, thanks for the insights one and all.

I wrote "this year" meaning 2007. In 2006 Today's Options was in probably 1/3 or less that number of states.

:mad:My husband has today's options. We live in TN. They screw up every EOB they send him. He stays on the phone. They don't even understand English well enough to get it straight. Takes forever on the phone. Isn't it bad enough your health is bad and you feel like crap and then have to deal with a foreigner who could care less? Sometimes I think they are trying to run a scam. My husband isn't old like lots are. Old people are probably screwed all the time. He's disabled and got on the plan. They contradict him on everything. He's an educated man and it's very insulting.

:mad:My husband has today's options. We live in TN. They screw up every EOB they send him. He stays on the phone. They don't even understand English well enough to get it straight. Takes forever on the phone. Isn't it bad enough your health is bad and you feel like crap and then have to deal with a foreigner who could care less? Sometimes I think they are trying to run a scam. My husband isn't old like lots are. Old people are probably screwed all the time. He's disabled and got on the plan. They contradict him on everything. He's an educated man and it's very insulting.

Why in the world did you write a PFFS on him? I would never do that to a loved one. In fact, I don't even write a PFFS plan on people I don't know. I write Med Supps!

If you wrote that policy on him just to "save money", shame on you.

If you didn't write it, then shame on the agent who did.

Frank,

Here in IN I write people on disability TO. The last I checked, the few underage med supps we can offer are way too much money. PFFS is usually the best option.
I can see how it could be a PITA talking to there customer service. Ticks me off too. I have not had any problems with claims or billing in IN. I have maybe 30-40 clients on TO and not one of them have cancelled.

Frank,

Here in IN I write people on disability TO. The last I checked, the few underage med supps we can offer are way too much money. PFFS is usually the best option.
I can see how it could be a PITA talking to there customer service. Ticks me off too. I have not had any problems with claims or billing in IN. I have maybe 30-40 clients on TO and not one of them have cancelled.

I would say you are doing a great service for your clients. The few PFFS policies I have written have not turned out that great. I just can't bring myself to write them around here. Must be a state thing. I have written three total and two of them wanted their Med Supps back, had all kinds of problems getting claims paid.

Back