Question About a Potential Client

windi

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So, I'm meeting a lady about Med Supps tomorrow afternoon. She's blind, but not on disability. She has a caretaker who will be there at the meeting. She's clearly (from the phone conversation anyway) fine other than the blindness. Oh, and she's turning 65 in a few months, so it's open enrollment.....

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this meeting! Obviously, I'm going to have to be extra good about verbalizing the Med Supp benefits. I *just* passed AHIP and Humana certs for MA/MAPD , so if she wants info on that, I'll have to reschedule for a later time, when I get my official ok to start writing those.

Question is this, say she decides she wants a Med Supp. If she's got a person who is POA for signing things, is that ok? I don't want to do anything illegal on accident, I've just never dealt with someone with this particular disability before.

Anyone have experience in this? *need a little sheepish smiley*

Can you tell I'm still pretty new at this? :D

So, I'm meeting a lady about Med Supps tomorrow afternoon. She's blind, but not on disability. She has a caretaker who will be there at the meeting. She's clearly (from the phone conversation anyway) fine other than the blindness. Oh, and she's turning 65 in a few months, so it's open enrollment.....

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this meeting! Obviously, I'm going to have to be extra good about verbalizing the Med Supp benefits. I *just* passed AHIP and Humana certs for MA/MAPD , so if she wants info on that, I'll have to reschedule for a later time, when I get my official ok to start writing those.

Question is this, say she decides she wants a Med Supp. If she's got a person who is POA for signing things, is that ok? I don't want to do anything illegal on accident, I've just never dealt with someone with this particular disability before.

Anyone have experience in this? *need a little sheepish smiley*

Can you tell I'm still pretty new at this? :D

Keep it simple.
Explain Plan F- she pays premiums, they pay the rest.
Explain Plan G- Same as plan F, but pay Medicare Part B deduct.
Explain Plan N- Copays + excess charges + Med Part B deduct.

Have the POA sign where needed...grab the check and leave.
You're making yourself worried over nothing.

Some companies will not take a POA signature.. Some blind people can write their name if you position their hand where they need to sign. If that is not the case, have her make her mark even if you have to hold her hand to assist her in doing it and then write beside he mark " (client's name) mark witnessed by (your name or the name of another witness)"

rousemark said:
Some companies will not take a POA signature.. Some blind people can write their name if you position their hand where they need to sign. If that is not the case, have her make her mark even if you have to hold her hand to assist her in doing it and then write beside he mark " (client's name) mark witnessed by (your name or the name of another witness)"

I don't believe that signature would ever hold up in court. They can not agree to what they are signing unless they can read it. The forms would have to be in Braile.

If you call the carriers they probably have an approved way of signing and enroll ing.

What? There is not one company I know of that doesn't take POA signatures, is that even legal if they try to refuse. It is as if the beneficiary person it making the execution.

Keep in mind, for PDP and MA products the POA needs to be for "healthcare decisions"... not just financial or general in nature.

I'll call a couple of carriers this morning and see what they have to say. I will just go out and give her the presentation today, and go from there. It's not any skin off my back if I have to go back to finish up the application. I know I need to know more about her situation, before I make any assumptions! LOL

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking into a mess!

Just a follow up, had the appointment, sold a med supp to her. Called the company she was interested in, right there, and put it on speaker phone and asked about the procedure for her signing when she's blind. They told me to just have her sign the best she can, and don't worry if it's not legible. Okayyy...... :)

She went blind from diabetes 7 years ago, poor lady. She was a sweetheart though, and very sharp.

I even left with a name and phone number, she wants me to call a friend of hers that is unhappy on her MAPD. Told me to 'make sure I called and tell her 'sheila sent me'" hahaha!

Told me to 'make sure I called and tell her 'sheila sent me'" hahaha!

You rat, you sold Shiela right out from under me. :biggrin:

Kidding of course. Congrats on the sale. You run into many diff situations in this business, don't you. Part of the fun of the biz.

Back