Question About Allstate Rate Increases After Accident.

ConfusedinCali

Hello, I have been with Allstate for 12 years, no accidents ever. I rear-ended someone at an intersection 8 months' ago, stupid mistake - light turned green, everyone went except other driver. 1100 in damages to other car and 1900 to mine. My Allstate agent told me that the rate increase would be small since I had been with them a long time and had no accidents.

Prior monthly rate was 70 dollars, they now want 240. Is this normal? I would have thought maybe 110, 120. 40-50% increase but not 300%! Local office has no answers, I called Allstate and didn't get any answers their either just a vague explanation about the state determining rates?

No that isn't normal for one at fault accident. I think it is time to shop your insurance! Most carriers now offer accident forgiveness in the event of a claim.

Shop your coverage with a good independent agent.

Hello, I have been with Allstate for 12 years, no accidents ever. I rear-ended someone at an intersection 8 months' ago, stupid mistake - light turned green, everyone went except other driver. 1100 in damages to other car and 1900 to mine. My Allstate agent told me that the rate increase would be small since I had been with them a long time and had no accidents.

Prior monthly rate was 70 dollars, they now want 240. Is this normal? I would have thought maybe 110, 120. 40-50% increase but not 300%! Local office has no answers, I called Allstate and didn't get any answers their either just a vague explanation about the state determining rates?

Time to change company Allstate wants to get the money they paid for the accident in 6 month from you. I can help you with insurance rates in CA if you like.:cool:

If there was any bodily injury regarding your accident, you not only receive an accident surcharge, but you lose your good driver rating. In most states, if you are not with Allstate's nonstandard auto insurance company, or under the Allstate value plan, you qualify for Accident Forgiveness if you've had your policy for over 10 years. I don't think this is the case in California, so there isn't really any reason to stay with Allstate -- particularly because your agent can't do something as simple for you, as answer your questions about the new rates after the accident.

I agree you should shop for better rates with other auto insurance companies, but knowing if there was any payment for injury from your accident may help you get more accurate price quotes, if the companies or agents quoting you can't access your claims information.

Even with your accident, you'll find some companies will charge you a lot more for the same coverage than other companies, so it pays to comparison shop with all the major insurance companies in your state willing to insure you. Allstate can be a lot more expensive than other auto insurance companies for some customers.

Last edited:
There were no injury payouts. I've already signed up with another company through an agent that a friend recommended the 6month premium is half what Allstate wants to stick me with. Still more than what I was paying but oh well stuff happens.

.....you qualify for Accident Forgiveness if you've had your policy for over 10 years. .

speaking of Accident Forgiveness.... my mother had zero claims in over 15 years and got "Accident Forgiveness" on her GEICO policy. However, immediatly after a windshield glass claim, they took away the Accident Forgiveness. Is this what Allstate or other insurance companies do? Because none of the local glass shop would agree to perform the job, the windshield ended up being special-ordered from Mercedes dealer and they had to order it from Germany. Mercedes actually FedEx'ed it from Germany to the local Mercedes dealer and I saw the FedEx shipping label from Germany to Chicago on the windshield's big box. GEICO paid the windshield which was $2300+, plus $510 for installation.(due to all the complex gadgets the factory attached to the windshield)

Last edited:
speaking of Accident Forgiveness.... my mother had zero claims in over 15 years and got "Accident Forgiveness" on her GEICO policy. However, immediatly after a windshield glass claim, they took away the Accident Forgiveness. Is this what Allstate or other insurance companies do? Because none of the local glass shop would agree to perform the job, the windshield ended up being special-ordered from Mercedes dealer and they had to order it from Germany. Mercedes actually FedEx'ed it from Germany to the local Mercedes dealer and I saw the FedEx shipping label from Germany to Chicago on the windshield's big box. GEICO paid the windshield which was $2300+, plus $510 for installation.(due to all the complex gadgets the factory attached to the windshield)

Wow, that was an expensive windshield. What kind of Mercedes was it?

Yeah, some companies will count any claim as part of the accident forgiveness. Even towing claims. Just make sure to ask the agent prior to filing a claim to see if it is worthwhile.

Yeah, some companies will count any claim as part of the accident forgiveness. Even towing claims. Just make sure to ask the agent prior to filing a claim to see if it is worthwhile.

I never understood why towing claims are counted... but logic doesn't work when it comes to insurance, right? :) Adding emergency roadside assistance on your own auto policy is a bad idea... which is why I keep AAA. (only $63 for family of 3 drivers... just have to look for their membership specials on Slickdeals.net once a year)

Latest posts

Back