Question about legalities with leads

Valetic

Expert
So I started out as an independent contractor with one agency and got contracts with 5 or 6 carriers, they started me off completely warm market. They wouldn’t let me have the leads and they wouldn’t give me any hands-on training so I ran across another opportunity with another insurance carrier that didn’t make me a captive agent either. This company has their own lead system that generates leads specific to their product, and it is illegal to take their lead and sell another insurance company’s product to that prospect. This company has a separate program that the client is allowed to become a member with if they buy the policy. So currently I am an agent of two separate companies.

I was wondering what the legalities were if I took the lead and sold the minimum allowable premium to put the policy in force so that the client may gain the benefit of having the program along side the policy, and then selling them another policy with my other company which provides more coverage for the price so they get affordability and the program they wanted - because they filled out the lead to learn more about the program, so they get the best of both worlds - an affordable policy and the program they wanted.

And to take it a step further, say I bought a lead from the first company I joined and did the same thing with their lead?

I think you know the answer and you are spitballing the question. what could possibly happen? You get fired by both companies for playing loose.

I guess you’re right. It just feels weird trying to sell a product when I know there’s a cheaper alternative for the same coverage.

Back