Question About Medicare Application on SSA.gov

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Something I should know the answer to.... but can't remember.

I have someone signing up for Medicare A & B online via ssa's site. Stumped on the question, "Are you covered under a Group Health Plan?"

So, the answer is yes (as of today).... but he won't be beginning in January as he'll be coming off of his spouse's plan. So, the answer is "yes" as of today, but "no" as of 1/1/19 when he wants Medicare to start.

Should he answer "yes" then fill in all the details that Medicare wants - like when employment started, when health insurance started, etc., or should he put "no" since the answer is "no" as of when the Medicare starts.

I think he should do "yes" - but I need the collective wisdom of the think tank.

And before you stone me for not knowing - it's AEP and my Breville Barista Express is broken. I'm drinking watered down American coffee.

Yeah, that comes up once a year or so. I think the answer is no since your client will not be on the group and Mcare at the same time.

Amazon delivers
right to your door. Don't have to get dressed.

I have someone signing up for Medicare A & B online via ssa's site. Stumped on the question, "Are you covered under a Group Health Plan?"

So, the answer is yes (as of today).... but he won't be beginning in January as he'll be coming off of his spouse's plan. So, the answer is "yes" as of today, but "no" as of 1/1/19 when he wants Medicare to start.

Should he answer "yes" then fill in all the details that Medicare wants - like when employment started, when health insurance started, etc., or should he put "no" since the answer is "no" as of when the Medicare starts.

I think he should do "yes" - but I need the collective wisdom of the think tank.

And before you stone me for not knowing - it's AEP and my Breville Barista Express is broken. I'm drinking watered down American coffee.
After multiple clients told me they couldn’t complete the application including yes to the Part B question with the group health question also answered yes I advised them to treat the question as if it were future rather than present tense, as in, "will you be covered under a group health plan" rather than "are you covered" as it reads on the app. Then I ask them to indicate in the remarks section later in the app that they have group coverage now that will end the day they're eligible for Medicare. I no longer get calls back from people who are stuck in the middle of the app, but I'm still not sure that it's the way the app is supposed to be completed.

As for stoning you for not knowing, watered down American coffee during AEP is punishment enough.

Yeah, that comes up once a year or so. I think the answer is no since your client will not be on the group and Mcare at the same time.

Amazon delivers
right to your door. Don't have to get dressed.

Thanks! And re: Amazon delivering, I'm assuming that's an offer from you - I'll PM you my address. Thank you in advance!

After multiple clients told me they couldn’t complete the application including yes to the Part B question with the group health question also answered yes I advised them to treat the question as if it were future rather than present tense, as in, "will you be covered under a group health plan" rather than "are you covered" as it reads on the app. Then I ask them to indicate in the remarks section later in the app that they have group coverage now that will end the day they're eligible for Medicare. I no longer get calls back from people who are stuck in the middle of the app, but I'm still not sure that it's the way the app is supposed to be completed.

As for stoning you for not knowing, watered down American coffee during AEP is punishment enough.

Thanks! The consensus agrees: it's a poorly written govt. application. We'll go with "No" for simplicity and add a note in the remarks section.

Amazon delivering, I'm assuming that's an offer from you - I'll PM you my address. Thank you in advance!

Nice try.

Send me an Amazon gift card for $800 and I will glady share the secret of how this works.

I no longer get calls back from people who are stuck in the middle of the app, but I'm still not sure that it's the way the app is supposed to be completed.

Send me an Amazon gift card for $800 and I will gladly share the secret of how this works.

I agree with your answer of yes. Then an employee doesn't have to work through additional remarks. MSP rules will cover the presence of an EGHP if one is still active when Medicare begins.

I don't drink that fancy smancy crap. I buy the cheapest coffee I can find and I can make it as strong as I want. Come on Scott...drink your coffee like a man!!! :biggrin:

That's the essence of R E Gould's comments in Yankee Storekeeper.

(I've had to start adding condensed milk because my stomach is not taking straight coffee well anymore.)

Back