Question About Medicare Application on SSA.gov

I've noticed recently if the information doesn't match exactly what SSA had on file for them, its quick to lock you out of the online app. Plus i think questions about their previous insurance are to ensure they're not needing to asses a penalty, shouldn't be an issue for ICEP individuals.

Got an e-mail from the applicant over the weekend - he submitted it, said "no" for the group coverage question and made a note in the remarks section that he has current group, but will have no group on 1/1/19.

He said that he submitted the online app and they are asking to see his original birth certificate, which he plans to take to the local SS office. This does not seem normal at all, I can't recall anyone applying for Medicare, and SS asking to see their birth certificate. Thoughts?

Unless Social Security is making a policy change, it sounds like there might be something in his file that leads to birthdate or citizenship questions. Or his social security district has someone else of exactly the same name in their files and SS needs to see the birth certificate to be sure they're working with the correct one.

edit:
Form SSA-1 | Information You Need To Apply For Retirement Benefits Or Medicare | Social Security Administration

Got curious and finally found that reference. I looks like SSA can ask for proof of birth date information on a regular basis.

end edit.

Last edited:
Back