Question about online study courses

loudee

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hi everyone :)

I first would like to introduce myself and say how lucky I've been to have found this forum. Everyone seems extremely friendly and helpful. As of now I'm a restaurant owner but will soon be selling the establishment. My knowledge of the insurance business is close to nill. What I have learned has come from this forum. The master plan is to pass the exam, get my license and start an agency. I'm sure there's much work involved but it can't be as grinding as the 70 hours a week I work now. I reside in Pennsylvania and would like a recommendation for an online study course. All help and responses are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

You do not need to start your own agency with no training. You need to be under a mentor's wing for a while, and no one is going to teach you if you are the competition that just opened across the street. Perhaps you opened the restaurant with no experience in the business. IMO, if you've eaten at restaurants and have some good business skills and knowledge, you can do open one with no experience. The insurance business is a completely different ballgame. I would recommend that you work captive for a while with a good company at a local office. I work in an environment such as this and I am surrounded by men and women with 20-30+ years experience in this business. I'm learning more from them than any licensing course or book I've read. As some one with no experience, I get to use my company's brand which kind of helps mask my inexperience.

Good luck as you get into this business.

I'm a rookie myself, but I think the vets will echo my sentiment.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm weary about working for someone other than myself mainly because I've been self employed for 20 years. That being said I would have to agree with you. Another question: When working for an agency as a captive agent do you usually work out of your home or in an office environment?

Again thanks!
Lou

Back