question about the LEP

Is someone is on Medicare through a disability, thereby under age 65 and if they are currently paying a LEP due to not having Part D or creditable coverage for a period of time, does CMS "wipe the slate clean"
when that beneficiary turns 65?
In the past, I had always heard that the LEP would stop, or if the beneficiary had never taken a Part D plan because the LEP would have been applied, at age 65 they could now take a PDP during their enrollment period and there would be no penalty.
Can anyone clarify this or has anyone had this situation come up with a client before?

Is someone is on Medicare through a disability, thereby under age 65 and if they are currently paying a LEP due to not having Part D or creditable coverage for a period of time, does CMS "wipe the slate clean"
when that beneficiary turns 65?
In the past, I had always heard that the LEP would stop, or if the beneficiary had never taken a Part D plan because the LEP would have been applied, at age 65 they could now take a PDP during their enrollment period and there would be no penalty.
Can anyone clarify this or has anyone had this situation come up with a client before?
Once a person turns 65 any late enrollment penalties prior to that are erased.

As others have stated it resets at 65 and will be gone AS LONG AS THEY ENROLL in PDP this time around during their 2nd IEP.

If they don't then the penalty is still reset but will grow like normal

I talked with a person that has been on Medicare due to disability since 1995 and never enrolled in a Part D plan when they became available in 2006. She turned 65 back in August but failed to enroll in a PDP plan 3 months after her birth month. If she decides to enroll in a PDP plan during the next AEP will the late enrollment penalty be calculated from 2006 or from when she turned 65 last August?

Back