Question about the Life & Health agent exam

Johnny180

Expert
I've been studying for the exam and a few areas give me some difficulty, but most of the material is very straightforward. A friend told me that at this point all I need to do is to just take the practice exams over and over until I get nearly all the answers correct and then the real exam should be a breeze. Does this sound right? It sounds like he's telling me that even if I don't know the material that well, the practice exams are a guide to the test, more or less. Is that the key? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this done as quickly as possible. Thanks.

You were given excellent advice. Follow it and you will easily pass the exam. Keep taking the tests until you score no less than 90%. Take same ones again if necessary.

Al(ice)

Al, thanks. I got the impression that the practice exams were geared to key you into the questions that would be on the exam, if not the exact same questions, then variations close enough that it would serve the same purpose. Your confirmation gives me encouragement that this is the case. It sounds as if one could skim the actual review material quickly a few times and then be prepared to pass the exam by simply cruising through the practice exams over and over until they score in high 90's. Does that sound about right?

It sounds as if one could skim the actual review material quickly a few times and then be prepared to pass the exam by simply cruising through the practice exams over and over until they score in high 90's. Does that sound about right?

I don't know where you are or how hard your exam is, but in CA it is not really "slam-dunk" easy. However after the 80 hours of class (I was awake for at least half of it!) I went home and re-read the text book Friday night and spent ALL DAY Saturday AND Sunday taking exams... one after another after another until I'd seen just about every question and every answer possible.

I then went in on Monday and took the 150 question exam (you get 3 hours in CA). I passed (they do not give you a score in this state if you pass... only if you fail) and I think there were only two or three questions I was not 100% positive about.

Personally I learned a lot both from the class and the exam cram. Unfortunately I've forgotten most of it! :laugh:

Al(ice)

I'm in Texas. Sounds like your exam is similar to ours. I'm just finishing up with the material. I plan to spend the next week reviewing it and taking practice exams. Seems that I should be adequately prepared for the exam by the week after next. Thanks.

The practice test are far more important than studying the book. Actually, Al slept a bit more (or maybe less) than he realized. The class is only 52 hours long, including the ethics module, unless it's changed in the last couple of years. (and again, this is California).

If you take the tests, it should point out areas that you are weak in. Use the test questions to bone up in those areas. Go take the test. Don't kill yourself in studying the material, but feel confident with it. Missing a few questions won't hurt you, missing a lot will.

The other big important thing is when your taking the test is to FULLY read the question. You're eyes will fool you, and you'll miss the fact it says which one of the following is NOT and you'll mark the first one that IS.

Also, if the Texas test is anything like the California test, if you're really stuck on a question, just pass on it, when you get a few questions down, they will likely ask the same question in a different way, giving you the answer to the question you skipped above.

Also, don't waste time on questions you don't know the answer to. Pick an answer and move on. It's easy to complete the test in the alloted time, but not if you get hung up because you don't know an answer somewhere. Doesn't matter, nobody pays you more because you scored higher on the test. Pick an answer, move on.

Dan

I find the Texas exam to be very easy. Way back when I did it - I studied for about 3-4 days, then took the test I think I missed one question.

My employees attend the 3 day Kaplan school, and take the test - it is $300 for the school and you can retake it until you pass for no charge.

Self study is virtually impossible for most people who have the T.V. on, dog barking and kids in the background - most people can not handle self study - the $300 for the class is money well spent if you can't make it on your own, nothing embarrassing about taking a class that's for sure.

Most people in Texas have trouble with ANNUITIES, TAX ITEMS, MEDICARE ITEMS - at least my employees this is where most of them struggled, go over these areas a few extra times.

Good luck either way.

I took the test last December. Before, just like you were advised I took many trial exams. I believe I went through a company called Kaplan Financial Kaplan Financial | A Kaplan Professional Company It cost $49 for the online testing. I took them until I was consistently getting 85 to 90% each time. Their questions followed very closely to the actual test. Just worded differently. It worked for me.

I think it took longer to get the actual license than it did to prepare for and pass the test.

I remember staying up all night taking practice tests the night before my life and health exam. This was the only studying or reviewing that I did. I would say that I started at about 1 AM and stopped studying to get ready for the exam at about 10 AM. So around 9 hours of doing nothing but taking the practice exams was enough for me to pass the test while being half delirious from staying up all night. I guess the moral of the story is that if you intelligent and are a good test taker, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do the practice exams until you score 90% or better. If you aren't a good test taker or are having trouble grasping/remembering the material, spend more time accordingly.

In all honesty, though, I was uneasy about how I scored until the screen showed that I passed. I took the tests in Tennessee. I don't know how it is for other states, but I would advise you to spend time looking over your state supplement. This was most definitely the part of the test that I felt I performed the worst on.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I took the test in Georgia twice and passed both times. The biggest thing for me was to CAREFULLY read the questions. They word them to intentionally trip you up. Especially watch for the "All of these are exceptions EXCEPT for:" or "Which of the following statements is NOT true?"

Back