Question for California MA Experts/Kaiser Sr Advantage

maniacagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have run into a couple where the man is working so his wife can be on as his dependent for the Kaiser plan he has through work. The wife, as the dependent does have a Medicare card. The man is a vet who said he does not need Kaiser himself and is on it just so his wife can be covered. They are paying over $1000 a month for the two of them.

First question-can the wife call Kaiser and get on the Kaiser Sr. Advantage plan by calling them? Second question will Kaiser let agents sell the Sr. Advantage plan?

I meant to call Kaiser but I forgot and these questions are on my mind.

Thank you.

I have run into a couple where the man is working so his wife can be on as his dependent for the Kaiser plan he has through work. The wife, as the dependent does have a Medicare card. The man is a vet who said he does not need Kaiser himself and is on it just so his wife can be covered. They are paying over $1000 a month for the two of them.

First question-can the wife call Kaiser and get on the Kaiser Sr. Advantage plan by calling them? Second question will Kaiser let agents sell the Sr. Advantage plan?

I meant to call Kaiser but I forgot and these questions are on my mind.

Thank you.

Does wifey have A and B? or just Part A? $1000/mo sounds like a lot of $.
Unless Kaiser has changed in the last 5 years, they are not open to indep. agents. The member can call Kaiser to enroll into their Advantage program and usually do.
Since the man is the employee, the wife should be safe to select a plan of her own if qualified. If they decide to return to Kaiser, they could do so at open enrollment provided the employee is still working there.
do they have a group retirement coverage with kaiser thru their employer? If so, they may have lower medicare eligible rates for those on medicare A & B.
Kaiser ppl are a PITA. We used to have to warn them and have them sign that they may "lose out" on their group coverage, etc when they enroll into our MA plan.. It was a fair warning.

Thank you Wehotex. She does have both A and B.

I heard on the group benefits forum (here) that Kaiser pays agents to enroll in group health plans as of 2005 or so, although I have not verified that.

The wife is a cancer patient. My understanding was she could create a special election if she decided to voluntarily drop off the Kaiser group plan. Due to the cancer I didn't want to get too involved, and just told her to call Member Services and discuss this all with them.

Thank you for your help on this. I was going to call her to see what she speaks with Kaiser.

Thank you Wehotex. She does have both A and B.

I heard on the group benefits forum (here) that Kaiser pays agents to enroll in group health plans as of 2005 or so, although I have not verified that.

The wife is a cancer patient. My understanding was she could create a special election if she decided to voluntarily drop off the Kaiser group plan. Due to the cancer I didn't want to get too involved, and just told her to call Member Services and discuss this all with them.

Thank you for your help on this. I was going to call her to see what she speaks with Kaiser.

That is SEP- Loss of Group Coverage (which may be voluntary or involuntary). You are wise to keep your distance from this one. :)

Back