Question on FMM and LUTC

wolfe42

Expert
Hello,

I am new in the business and was wondering what the benefits of being a graduate of FMM and LUTC would be. What would it contribute to my business?

Thank You
D.Wolfe

The "FMM designation" isn't an accredited credential at all. It is simply a certificate of completion for attending the Insurance Pro Shop's in-person training.

While I do recommend the training, but I don't recommend promoting it like a designation. It's one of the very few things I don't like about them. (The other seems to be spelling issues on some of their materials. It's minor, but I am rather analytical.)

Conversely, for getting started in life insurance and annuities, I think the LUTCF program could be a good start. It was revamped and relaunched with the College for Financial Planning. You would have to be a member of NAIFA in order to receive it. Kind of costly for getting started. Some firms will reimburse for completing either the LUTCF or FSCP.

The main advantage of LUTCF or the FSCP below is that you're supposed to be developing selling skills WHILE learning some basic technical skills. Taking these courses should help you increase your production.

LUTCF® or Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow

There's another one you can consider: FSCP from The American College. It's very similar to LUTCF, but you don't have to be a NAIFA member to earn it.

Academics - Insurance Education - FSCP - Financial Services Certified Professional - The American College

I took the "Essentials of Business Insurance" a few years ago. If I was completely new, it would be good. But I had been around for a while, and it felt like I could teach the course.

There is another COMPLETE resource to check out: The Virtual Assistant.

There is no designation here, or even a structured learning format, but there is a TON of great information and resources included in it. It's free for 30 days, and then it's $23.95/month or $19.95/month if you're a member of a qualifying association, like NAIFA. The tools and techniques reference books alone are worth the price.

Thanks Dave...I will look into more of this in depth. Can't remember if I asked you before, but have you gone through the marketing steps and programs that this site has to offer?

And if so, has it been beneficial to you, or could it be for someone like myself starting out and not just a "marketing scheme"

And I don't mean that in any disrespect, but like we discussed before, I can tell the guy that brought me into the business is not going to be any help as far as the learning curve is concerned.

Thanks again for your insight!

Sincerely,

D. Wolfe

There's two parts to this business: Marketing & Sales... and professional development.

The IPS is VERY GOOD at giving you the tools for marketing and sales... as well as some decent technical training made simple. However, IPS is not a substitute for taking good professional development courses, such as CFP, ChFC, or CLU. All new insurance producers need a solid track to run on and then be able to develop their technical knowledge to enhance the way they serve their clients.

I am NOT KIDDING when I tell you that they offer the best training for the new agent... at ANY price. The fact that they are very competitively priced AND with money-back guarantees just makes it "icing on the cake".

But hey, what do I know? I spent $2,500 on the LEAP system back in 2008 + $600 each for 3 live training sessions to learn how to use it... and I got far more valuable training from the Insurance Pro Shop in their members only site for FAR less money out of pocket.

The problem of indecision you have is you don't have anything else to compare it to. You just need to start with the members only site and watch the online videos.

To be completely frank with you: if you're stressing over $35/month and the 1st month being refundable... then you're too afraid to take a chance or a risk... and that will be completely detrimental to your ongoing development. Maybe you should spend a few thousand dollars on something else and feel the pain of spending lots of money and not getting the same value you could've gotten from IPS.

In the learning curve of this business... you WILL "burn money" and "waste money"... but you'll learn all along the way. If you're afraid to make mistakes... you're going to fail and quit. I guarantee it.

I only recommend and endorse things that work and are of high quality... and the IPS training is the training you'd wish you'd get the first week you started in the business. Yes, it's simple, but simple is best.

Other things I recommend are the RetirementView software from Torrid Technologies... and the Virtual Assistant. I have an anonymous testimonial on their site, but I do endorse it for what it is - a fantastic reference tool. They have some selling tools too, but I don't think it's as effective as what you'll find with IPS.

----------

It seems that the more experience one has, and the more money one has previously spent... the more they seem to appreciate what the Insurance Pro Shop has and does.

Last edited:
Well said Dave!

I will go with what you said and go from there. I am not afraid to shoot money, just want the best bang for the buck!

Thanks again for your input!

Sincerely,

D.Wolfe

There's two parts to this business: Marketing & Sales... and professional development. The IPS is VERY GOOD at giving you the tools for marketing and sales... as well as some decent technical training made simple. However, IPS is not a substitute for taking good professional development courses, such as CFP, ChFC, or CLU. All new insurance producers need a solid track to run on and then be able to develop their technical knowledge to enhance the way they serve their clients. I am NOT KIDDING when I tell you that they offer the best training for the new agent... at ANY price. The fact that they are very competitively priced AND with money-back guarantees just makes it "icing on the cake". But hey, what do I know? I spent $2,500 on the LEAP system back in 2008 + $600 each for 3 live training sessions to learn how to use it... and I got far more valuable training from the Insurance Pro Shop in their members only site for FAR less money out of pocket. The problem of indecision you have is you don't have anything else to compare it to. You just need to start with the members only site and watch the online videos. To be completely frank with you: if you're stressing over $35/month and the 1st month being refundable... then you're too afraid to take a chance or a risk... and that will be completely detrimental to your ongoing development. Maybe you should spend a few thousand dollars on something else and feel the pain of spending lots of money and not getting the same value you could've gotten from IPS. In the learning curve of this business... you WILL "burn money" and "waste money"... but you'll learn all along the way. If you're afraid to make mistakes... you're going to fail and quit. I guarantee it. I only recommend and endorse things that work and are of high quality... and the IPS training is the training you'd wish you'd get the first week you started in the business. Yes, it's simple, but simple is best. Other things I recommend are the RetirementView software from Torrid Technologies... and the Virtual Assistant. I have an anonymous testimonial on their site, but I do endorse it for what it is - a fantastic reference tool. They have some selling tools too, but I don't think it's as effective as what you'll find with IPS. ---------- It seems that the more experience one has, and the more money one has previously spent... the more they seem to appreciate what the Insurance Pro Shop has and does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p30UhdUsOA
So what I am hearing is that insurance pros is the real deal? Did you do their expensive program or just the monthly subscription? I have also contemplated www.selltermlife.com. Do you know anything about them? As we have talked about, I have a nice P&C book, but want to increase life sales.

Last edited:
I bought their Mortgage Insurance tool kit a few years ago and the monthly subscription when they introduced their online training videos. The biggest difference between their more advanced Found Money Management system and the mortgage one is their Excel templates to help you build your proposals as well as their Power Point seminar presentation which focuses more on retirement planning. Well, I use RetirementView for my planning that fits me better to build my plans and save more time by doing the majority of the planning in front of the client.

I would suggest that if your P&C book has a great local clientele, then IPS methods would work out very well for you. That other site, which I've never heard of until now, looks like they want you to use their tools to sell for them? IPS are trainers, not recruiters. They'll help you sell the products that YOU want to sell, regardless of whether you're a captive agent or independent.

The biggest differences that I see with the IPS methods and everything else out there, is they'll teach you to BECOME a top producer, not just a "system user". You won't be relying on expensive software programs for your success - which creates a relationship of dependency upon other vendors. (Now, I chose to use RetirementView because it's simple, and relatively inexpensive compared to others... but that's because I chose to elevate my services that way, not because "I have to".)

But yes, IPS is the real deal. And you can find out by reading their site, being a subscription member, and giving them a call. Yes, they can help you with cross-selling life insurance in a P&C environment. Lew and Jeremy are two of the most sincere people you'll ever meet in this business.

I bought their Mortgage Insurance tool kit a few years ago and the monthly subscription when they introduced their online training videos. The biggest difference between their more advanced Found Money Management system and the mortgage one is their Excel templates to help you build your proposals as well as their Power Point seminar presentation which focuses more on retirement planning. Well, I use RetirementView for my planning that fits me better to build my plans and save more time by doing the majority of the planning in front of the client. I would suggest that if your P&C book has a great local clientele, then IPS methods would work out very well for you. That other site, which I've never heard of until now, looks like they want you to use their tools to sell for them? IPS are trainers, not recruiters. They'll help you sell the products that YOU want to sell, regardless of whether you're a captive agent or independent. The biggest differences that I see with the IPS methods and everything else out there, is they'll teach you to BECOME a top producer, not just a "system user". You won't be relying on expensive software programs for your success - which creates a relationship of dependency upon other vendors. (Now, I chose to use RetirementView because it's simple, and relatively inexpensive compared to others... but that's because I chose to elevate my services that way, not because "I have to".) But yes, IPS is the real deal. And you can find out by reading their site, being a subscription member, and giving them a call. Yes, they can help you with cross-selling life insurance in a P&C environment. Lew and Jeremy are two of the most sincere people you'll ever meet in this business.

Thanks!- I'll call them on Monday.

Hi Dave,

I was looking at CFP, but the information I read is that I need a bachelor's degree to get this certification. Is this information correct?

Sincerely,

D. Wolfe

Back