Question on health ins coverage please!!

navigator

Super Genius
Michigan
Hello and thank in advance for reading and if you have a suggestion replying :) I have a client who just moved to Michigan, newly divorced and must carry medical insurance on his son (17) who currently reaides in Ohio with his mother.. Client was let go from his job and coverage expires on the 31st of this month. Does anyone have any options that will be available for him? If he purchases insurance thru the marketplace which is where ha has been looking his residency will be Michigan however his soms would be Ohio and would make that out of network and the coverage would be minimal at best... Thanks and any advice would help!!

Thanks and any advice would help!!

first who is claiming him as a dependent in 2018....does mom have a insurance outlet......if not he will have to pay for a ohio plan .....possibly full price.....the kid should get a SEP because of loss of coverage.....

Last edited:
Mom is claiming the son, not sure if it matters or not but he has Anthem right now and cobra will be just over $800/mth if he were to keep cobra.. Can he purchase an Ohio plan thru the Marketplace while he resides in Michigan?

Thanks and any advice would help!!
Mom is claiming the son, not sure if it matters or not but he has Anthem right now and cobra will be just over $800/mth if he were to keep cobra.. Can he purchase an Ohio plan thru the Marketplace while he resides in Michigan?
Yes.... and on the kid only....and the kid being eligible for cobra...and is not a dependent of the father will have to pay full price......and I am sure the $800 for cobra is on both of them....how much for cobra on just the kid......

He says as he understood it he must keep the same coverage on both in order to use Cobra..
yea....you might have him recheck that.....it is to my understanding that you can keep cobra on a kid and not carry it on yourself......

I just was able to find that online and told him to call on that tomorrow, thank you!!! He also waited till the last minute by just starting to get this process going...

I just was able to find that online and told him to call on that tomorrow, thank you!!! He also waited till the last minute by just starting to get this process going...

But really....what health insurance does the ex carry.....why not put him on moms coverage and he pays for it......

This is the response I just received from him....

I called them. It's 579 per month for just my sons medical, plus 60 a month for dental. And apparently my coverage ended on the 14th. I was told the 31st, but it was on the Phone, not in writing.

I did tell him to contact his ex and have her find out how much to add him to her policy as a dependent, as you had just stated it may be financially the only way to go at this point..

Back