Question on Part B Enrollment

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
The situation person is working with Insurance does not have part B, Now realizes it would be better to get part B and Supplement but does nit want to retire.

Can this person start part B at anytime or does this person have to wait till they retire?

The situation person is working with Insurance does not have part B, Now realizes it would be better to get part B and Supplement but does nit want to retire.

Can this person start part B at anytime or does this person have to wait till they retire?

As long as he's still working and has coverage through his work, he can start Part B at anytime and shouldn't have a penalty.

Ok Great. That is what I thought, Employer said they would have to wait till they retire to apply for part B, I assume it is same employer page that needs to be filled for social security.

I think they will probably need to do this form too to avoid penalty. I know they would if employment was terminated, don't know for sure when employment is still going on.

Also, if they plan on retaining group health coverage, be sure they understand the characteristics of their group health plan and the primary secondary coverage rules for Medicare. There can be surprises there if one is not prepared.

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS009718.html

I have the forms. The only Issue was employer told her she could not apply for part B or disenroll from group till such time as she retired, I did not think that was correct. So I wanted to confirm

Now realizes it would be better to get part B and Supplement but does nit want to retire.

You can still waive off your employer plan and trigger Part B. You don't have to "retiree".
I'm helping several T65 ee's who currently have a lousy employer plan, high deductible, skinny network of Dr's, and, high ee share of cost.
Even thought they are still eligible for employer coverage, they are much better of to waive off employer plan, trigger Part B, enroll in a Med supp & Part D.

Yeah, at my day job, enrolling into Medicare qualifies as a life event where I can drop the insurance outside of open enrollment. Could be this company has stricter rules?

Back