Question: Our son passed the same day his life insurance rider expired

John12345

Hello every one,
New here, Our son passed on his 23rd birthday ;( The same day the rider LF expired.
The rider was good until age 23, he passed on his 23rd birthday. My question is: will the rider Life Insurance pay out? or will they say the LI expired the moment he turned 23?

Thanks
John

I'd just fill out a claim form and send it in to be processed. For something that close, it would be a stupid PR move for a company to be THAT careful with death benefit proceeds. It would be far better to pay the claim under a child rider than not to.

For an example: most life insurance companies have an "act of war" clause. This means that death due to terrorism would be excluded. However, when 9/11 occurred, I think I remember that there were some companies that were almost tripping over each other to play claims - partly to be "the first to pay a claim" in this event. (I think it was Met Life?)

Could you imagine a life insurance company NOT paying a claim due to 9/11? Sometimes it's just better to pay the claim, than be known for NOT paying it.

War Exclusion Clause

That said, I don't know if you're LEGALLY entitled to the benefit due to the contract language, but I'd just fill out the paperwork and let them make the decision.

I agree that I’d just file a claim. But I can’t see them paying if the verbiage says it had ended before his death.

My condolences

As the others have said. Depends on the contract. However, file the claim. I hope your agent is still involved, she should be helping you with this.

One note: Some Child Riders expire on the anniversary after the child's X birthday.

Please keep us posted.

I will not speculate as to what a company will or will not do. Insurance companies sometimes do stupid things and sometimes they do generous things. Because ultimately it is people within the company making decisions.

I do agree there is absolutely no harm in submitting a claim, the worst they can do is deny it and should you wish to fight, you will need a formal denial anyway.

However, to truly answer the question, we'll have to see the exact policy language, as well as his date of birth and date of death. Even then, the policy language may be ambiguous.

Hello every one,
New here, Our son passed on his 23rd birthday ;( The same day the rider LF expired.
The rider was good until age 23, he passed on his 23rd birthday. My question is: will the rider Life Insurance pay out? or will they say the LI expired the moment he turned 23?

Thanks
John

*Quoting the OP so he will be notified of the post

Thanks much, guess I already knew the answers you all stated.....
Just don't feel like digging up the policy. We have already filed to the insurance company a few weeks ago.
Thanks again
John

This is slightly off the subject, but thought I would pass this on:
Several years ago I was reading a consumer advice column in the Chicago Tribune.
A lady wrote in about an issue pertaining to the CTR rider on her life policy,. Her child died, she filed a claim and the carrier, PRUDENTIAL! denied it. Their excuse was that although she had filled out the application correctly with the correct date of birth of her child, their data entry person had entered the info incorrectly. They stated that because of their employee's mistake they were justified in refusing to pay!!!
The columnist of course stated that she should not accept this for an answer and fight to get her money.
Folks: stuff like this is why so many people hate the insurance industry!
The columnist should have advised her to also file a complaint with the DOI and seek to have them slapped with a colossal fine!!!

Reactions: DHK
Condolences for your loss.

Just don't feel like digging up the policy.

I suggest you do. You will need it if you want to verify any adverse news from the insurance company.

The life insurance agents might be able to confirm this, or not.

Insurance policies often run from 12:01 AM to 12:01 AM. If your policy is written like that to expire at 12:01 AM on his 23d birthday then there would be no coverage.

I have a sample of a 20 year group life policy that specifies 12:01 AM to 12:01 AM. I have other sample life insurance policies that don't.

Find yours and read it.

Back