Question Regarding Conflict of Interest

Jerbond

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have been hired to sell property and casualty insurance. The company I work for has a benefits department (health, dental, etc), and offers 50% commissions if I sell for them (or send leads). If per say, I was to call my own prospects, on my own time, with my own phone, and sign up with an outside orginzation that assists with selling group and individual medical insurance- is this a conflict of interest? Can I be fired for "moonlighting"? It just seems to me that why not get the 100% commission, and also cross sell the P&C? Any thoughts? Just looking to maximize my income opportunity.

I see it as a conflict of interest and as unethical. Maybe I am reading the situation incorrectly and I am sure others will jump so you will have more than one opinion to go with. Good luck with your decision.

Read the employee manual. It will clearly spell this out. If not, then perhaps...

The fact that you are asking tells me you already know the answer. Nobody here can dispute something you already know.

Dan

Read the employee manual and your employment paperwork. Are you an employee or a 1099 subproducer?

I tell my 1099 producers to sell life and health on their own so they are getting income from more than one source... in case I run into any IRS issues and the IRS wants to classify them as employees.

I suspect because your agency has a policy and offers 50%, you should not be selling on the side. If it has been spelled out and you are caught (and you will be), you will certainly be fired for cause and the agency will retain your P&C book.

I am a 1099 worker. I figured that it would be unethical, but another option for income none the less. Thanks for all your input!

Back