Question regarding "senior benefits" cold calling

NotEnough

Super Genius
Hi All,

I'm planning to cold call on my down time to generate leads for FE. Want to make use of my time when I'm not doing admin work or in front of clients..

I see a lot of cold calling videos and scripts start off with "this is _____ from senior benefits", but their insurance agency is a totally different name. Is this legal? In CA?

I was under the impression that I need to clearly state my name and company I work for when cold calling. If this is legal/compliant, how so?

I was under the impression that I need to clearly state my name and company I work for when cold calling. If this is legal/compliant, how so?

You ARE the company - especially if you are independent with multiple selling contracts. After all, WHICH company would you be representing? What if that's not the best one for that prospect?

I represent myself when I make my contacts. I'm DHK and I'm in the insurance and financial solutions business. My marketing materials say "DHK (first and last name) Insurance and Financial Solutions". I don't need a DBA because I'm using my first and last name. All the words are approved for use by the State of California.

Unacceptable Words/Phrases

This is completely different than if you're an employee of a bank, registered with a brokerage firm, or associate with or own an RIA firm. There are rules and obvious advantages (and disadvantages) when you're calling from a single institution (with brand recognition) with a given product line.

I don't market to the "senior market", and I wouldn't necessarily say "senior benefits". If you have a large company name, you could say that you're in that "division" of the company.

I see a lot of cold calling videos and scripts start off with "this is _____ from senior benefits",

That smacks of subterfuge to me.

A few years ago carriers and agents alike adopted the title "financial advisor" vs life insurance agent.

Odd thing was, once they got in front of the client, regardless of the problem, the solution was always whole life insurance.

When I call people I give my name and my "trade" name. This includes when I leave a message, which I always do.

If you are ashamed of what you do then find another profession.

I just got a call from someone claiming to be from "senior benefits". That call was made with a foreign accent, so I wonder if someone is hiring outsourced telemarketing on this.

I plainly said:
1) I'm not a senior
2) I'm a life insurance agent
3) Please remove me from your list
and I hung up.

Now, for anyone with call reluctance - that's not a "no" or a "rejection". That's "I'm not who you're looking for so don't waste my time or yours" response.

Has anyone heard of a company based out of Dallas, TX called iCanFinancial and what are the benefits to a non-captive Agent working for them? Their commissions are ridiculous! Based on the companies they represent, reviews I have seen and commission structure, I don't know why any non-captive Agent wouldn't??

I looked at the commission structure at iCan. They start at 20% points less than most other IMOs. They do have an alternative health plan based on a health sharing that could be used for some HEALTHY clients as an alternative to paying full priced health insurance, but commissions are low and based on how many clients and agents you recruit.

iCan Financial offers street level or higher with all carriers and offers subsidized leads. With adequate production, free leads are provided. All leads are exclusive. Each non-captive agent is assigned to an agent mentor at home office who has field experience.

Agent scripts are generic because independent agents generally do not use the name of the IMO when calling on prospects.

Hi All,

I'm planning to cold call on my down time to generate leads for FE. Want to make use of my time when I'm not doing admin work or in front of clients..

I see a lot of cold calling videos and scripts start off with "this is _____ from senior benefits", but their insurance agency is a totally different name. Is this legal? In CA?

You need to register a legal DBA with your state attorney general's office and use that name. In most states anything including Senior Benefits or Senior Services is very popular. In California there is a large list of banned words. You need to make sure you have a legal name and use that one.

I just got a call from someone claiming to be from "senior benefits". That call was made with a foreign accent, so I wonder if someone is hiring outsourced telemarketing on this.

I plainly said:
1) I'm not a senior
2) I'm a life insurance agent
3) Please remove me from your list
and I hung up.

Now, for anyone with call reluctance - that's not a "no" or a "rejection". That's "I'm not who you're looking for so don't waste my time or yours" response.

Yes those are illegal lead generators. There are actually agents buying those leads. If you give them resistance and don't hang up they will cuss you out in their native language. Very unprofessional. Agents are crazy to buy those leads. They do NOT follow any DNC rules.

Back