Questions about managing general agents

We just started an insurance agency and will be selling health and life insurance in all 50 states.

I was wondering if it would be better to with one managing general agent or to try out a few so we get the best rates available.

You know, there's a lot more to choosing an MGA than "the rates." I'd give up 5 points in a heartbeat if it meant I'd get top-notch customer service - case status, underwriting support, etc.

Personally, I always recommend trying out a few, put a few contracts here and there. However, I agree that it isn't done to find the "best rates/commissions". That honestly I would do it to find out who fits and helps me most. Which upline gives me the best support, gets you up to date with training, and do you have people there you like to talk to etc.

Personally, I always recommend trying out a few, put a few contracts here and there. However, I agree that it isn't done to find the "best rates/commissions". That honestly I would do it to find out who fits and helps me most. Which upline gives me the best support, gets you up to date with training, and do you have people there you like to talk to etc.

I'm in the P&C side of insurance, but I couldn't have said it better. We need these surplus lines general agents for our In Home Health Cares we write, but they are often times bad with communication.

As others have pointed out there's more than just the rates. Responsiveness and support will be key. Try a few out and see which delivers the most support for you.

You said you just started your agency, have you been able to get many direct appointments or are you mostly relying upon MGAs?

As others have pointed out there's more than just the rates. Responsiveness and support will be key. Try a few out and see which delivers the most support for you.

You said you just started your agency, have you been able to get many direct appointments or are you mostly relying upon MGAs?
They posted this 4 years ago. They either have figured it out by now or are out of business.

Back