Questions on a Metlife Group Life Insurance Policy

tooled84117

My mom worked for Delta and recently passed away. She had 200k in life insurance. However, no one knew if they were the beneficiary or not. In the mean time my eldest brother told everyone to sign a document that he said made him personal representative just so that he could request medical records. A month later he came out as the beneficiary. My first question is, is there anything he could have done to get that policy in his name? Even if there was another beneficiary named or wasn't one at all? My second question is if anyone knew what the documents would look like that would have been sent? Would they all be use my brothers personal name? The one letter he showed me that was an approval letter said "Dear Beneficiary" instead of his name. Metlife told me that those types of letters are always addressed "Dear Mr. So and so" Thanks for any help. If anyone knows of someone who has a group life policy claim from Metlife, especially from Delta, I would love to see it. Respecting the fact that the personal info would be blacked out of course... I just would like to know what to expect when my brother shows me his. I wouldn't put it past him to draw up his own :nah:

Your probably going to need legal advise. Your not going to be able to see any insured or beneficiary information unless you are one of them due to privacy policies.

We just went through a similar situation.

1. What was the form that your brother asked you to sign? When the deceased does not leave clear instructions someone needs to be identified as a representative.

2. Is there a will, and what does it state about the distribution of assets and about Executor.

3. Employers are used to situations such as this and are willing to release a copy of the benficiary form. Unfortunatley for you guys, since this brother is already "representative" the info/material will be sent to him.

4. Highly unlikely that the employer changed the beneficiary designation. Upon death, if the is a policy without a beneficiary the proceeds become assets of the estate.

5. As mentioned earlier, you may need an Estate Attorney.

Answers to your questions and comments

1)The form was me signing that I waives notice to all petitions, applications, and filings concerning the estate and electing my brother as representative to the estate.

2)No will

3)I am currently looking to work with the employer

4)I understand that but is there anyway that my brother, as mine and all my siblings personal rep, could waive our right to any money?

5)My other brother is currently working with a lawyer to try and become a co representative at the very least. But would that still not make him the executor?

A personal rep is appointed by the courts to settle and distrubute the estate. While they have great lead-way in power, they must act in the best interests of the beneficiaries. As a personal rep, all estate matters will be directed to him.

Since a personal rep has been named, the employer may not work with you, but give it a try anyway. A personal rep cannot change the beneficiary on a life policy. The carrier is required to issue the check, or checks if multiple beneficiaries. So for example, we had 5 beneficiaries and the carrier issued 5 checks, each getting 1/5th the face value.

Best words of advice are to keep track of everything being done and spent. You may not have anything to worry about, but who knows. If there are problems you will need to work with the county probate and maybe a lawyer.

If your brother was named as the beneficiary, the form you signed would have no impact. If no specific bene was established and the proceeds were payable to the "estate", that may be different. I am not an attorney and do not claim to know if the form you signed would jepordize your rights in that situation.

If it was me, I would want to see in writing that your brother was named as the 100% primary beneficiary. Are you on decent terms with your brother? If so, that seems like a reasonable request. If not, I would call an attorney and ask for advise.

Back