Quick guide: Can's & Cannot's when you have no life license

lcodilla

Can anyone please post a quick guide/list of things that you are allowed and not allowed to do when you are not life licensed or your license has expired? For example: you cannot solicit or market/advertise but can you provide training to other agents? If the agency/firm is licensed, can a non-licensed member provide training and perform case designs/illustrations for the agents?

Licensing is about your duty and accountability to the public and your ability to earn commissions.

Everything else... would seem to be internal. You can hire non-licensed people, teach them to do illustrations, and then you don't have to do them yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of agents/advisors that do exactly that. If you wanted a non-licensed person to provide training... I suppose you could do that (not sure why you'd want to though).

They simply cannot provide any advice or guidance to the public that would require licensing.
- Advising a policyholder to "call customer service" wouldn't count.
- Recommending an index segment change on an IUL or FIA policy would count.

Can anyone please post a quick guide/list of things that you are allowed and not allowed to do when you are not life licensed or your license has expired? For example: you cannot solicit or market/advertise but can you provide training to other agents? If the agency/firm is licensed, can a non-licensed member provide training and perform case designs/illustrations for the agents?

The only things you are not supposed to do when you're not licensed is quoting and asking health questions. Of course, not soliciting the products goes without saying.

Licensing is about your duty and accountability to the public and your ability to earn commissions.

Everything else... would seem to be internal. You can hire non-licensed people, teach them to do illustrations, and then you don't have to do them yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of agents/advisors that do exactly that. If you wanted a non-licensed person to provide training... I suppose you could do that (not sure why you'd want to though).

They simply cannot provide any advice or guidance to the public that would require licensing.
- Advising a policyholder to "call customer service" wouldn't count.
- Recommending an index segment change on an IUL or FIA policy would count.
Home Offices use non licensed people to host training seminars all the time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I was under the impression that even for non-licensed individuals are not allowed to train. But I guess that's okay from what I've read so far. I suppose case designers and training on illustrations are okay as well at the home office.

I'm glad you edited that. I was confused when you said that Home Offices 'sue'. An easy transposition that changes everything.
Amazing what a difference one little letter can make... I was just thinking back to my National Life and Accident Days, Perhaps,it was just company policy but when folks were promoted to HO positions they had to surrender their insurance license. Never have understood that requirement.. However, they would continue to train agents and even accompany agents into the field at times.

Last edited:
Amazing what a difference one little letter can make... I was just thinking back to my National Life and Accident Days, Perhaps,it was just company policy but when folks were promoted to HO positions they had to surrender their insurance license. Never have understood that requirement.. However, they would continue to rain agents and even accompany agents into the field at times.

So, which is worse, when it is raining men or raining agents?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I was under the impression that even for non-licensed individuals are not allowed to train. But I guess that's okay from what I've read so far. I suppose case designers and training on illustrations are okay as well at the home office.

Not at all, you don't have to be licensed to train.

Basically you need to be licensed whenever you interact with a consumer in a position in which insurance is discussed. Giving quotes, discussing coverage, etc.

Back