Quick Question..

butteryt

New to insurance..

Is it legal to offer gift cards to people who fill out insurance apps online?

I know you can give gifts worth $5 or $10 depending if its p&c or l&h but didn't know if gift cards are allowed since they're almost like cash.

Thanks! :1cute:

Every state may be different.

From my understanding, IF you were to do this, it cannot be tied to the actual outcome, underwriting or the sale of the policy.

Because you are looking to give it per application, it MIGHT be okay.

You might want to check with your state's DOI.

Right ok thanks. Yeah I was thinking maybe go to local businesses and ask if I can put a sign somewhere in their business that says something like "want a FREE $10 or $5 gift card for next time?" then have it say visit my website to fill out an application for insurance to receive it. Its a win win for the business owner and me. Attacts customers back to them and I get more ppl receiving quotes. I would have to pay for gift cards but could be worth it.

Thanks I tried responding a couple times but it wont post my responses needs approval or something?? Pretty annoying..

I would agree with check with your state's OIC. You could be setting yourself up for a large fine based on how you did this.

Does the carrier you plan to use have a compliance department? Run it by them.

Some carriers may refuse or cancel your appointment for something like this.

Look around? Is anybody else in your market doing this? If not, is it because you think you are the first to come up with this idea?

The completion of the app thing is where it gets sticky.

Now that I'm thining about it, it's just a bad idea.

Doing this can be an 'inducement to buying' and perhaps considered a rebate... even though it's a small gift card.

Now, if you did this for every QUOTE you offer, that may be different. And of course, probably not the best use of such funds as quotes are just another form of "shopping".

Yeah, I don't know MI laws, but you are walking a fine line here. I would definitely have a carrier approve it first, you need some cover in case the DOI decides to send you a nice letter.

You can probably do it if its based on only getting a quote, but probably not if its based on an app, at least thats my gut feeling.

Besides, the number of people that are willing to get a $5 gift card by filling out an app is amazingly small. Its a good idea, but to be honest, I'm not sure it would work as well as you think it will, even if you are allowed to do it.

Dan

Yeah I got the idea when I read a post on here about someone going to a carwash and offering people in line either half off or to pay for their car wash if they would give him their vin # and let him give them a free quote by the time they're done with their car wash and somehow he had it printed out for them by the time they were done.

Back