Quiting a Job, What Happens to Insurance?

alex646

Hi Guys,

I accidentally registered in the wrong forum, I was looking for
health insurance user forum but just realized that I've registered as an agent :embarrassed:

I wanted to ask a question regarding oxford health plan. My wife delivered a baby 2 weeks ago and she was and still is on my insurance plan, now baby also. I'm thinking about switching my job and thinking what will happen if I quit my job now, will insurance still pay for baby delivery and hospital fees or I'll be billed because I quit my job?

Thanks a lot!

Just a little more detail for you:

They will not backdate any of the bills or anything, as long as the insurance was in place when the baby was delivered, you are good to go. Saying that, I wouldn't recommend going without health insurance with a newborn. LOTS of opportunity to regret that decision.

Are you switching to another job that will have you insured immediately? You've actually got a couple of months where you could elect the COBRA and backdate the coverage by paying all premiums from when you left so you've got a little breathing room, but again, I wouldn't recommend not having insurance in place on a newborn.

When you quit your job, they will offer you COBRA. Many people think that's a type of insurance, when, in fact, its just the name of the law that allows you to stay on your current plan. If you go on COBRA you have to pay the entire cost of the insurance and a lot of people dont realize how much the employer is paying on their behalf. If you are young enough to be having babies, you are probably better off in the individual market as far as cost goes. A lot of that depends on the plan you are currently on, though.

If you want to run some quotes, go to ehealth and see the rates. I'd find a local agent, though, to actually do the policy. I've worked in a call center internet place and their is a BIG difference in the attention to detail you'll get dealing with someone independent vs. those high volume type of places.

Hope that helps- Congrats on the baby, the kiddos are God's greatest gift to us!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No.
You will be forced to sell your baby to Anglina Jolie & Brad Pitt.

This happens regularly in California, where the government is much smarter than you are on what is best for your family and way of life.

Last edited:
A word of caution about your current plan and continuation of coverage. COBRA is a federal requirement for groups of 20 or more employees. Many ( if not all ) of the states have passed continuation requirements to fill in where COBRA does not apply. However, if your current plan is self-funded, and does not qualify for federal COBRA, you may not have continuation. Check ahead of time.

The other consideration is any pre-existing stipulations your new plan may have. I know I've had some strange experiences in the past where my wife's post natal visits weren't covered because of a "pre-existing condition". (i.e. just had a baby)

Always seemed a little strange to me.

Since kid is already born you good to go on the bills that have already happened. Why don't you take and extended leave of absence to take care of the wife and newborn? Even dad's can get FMLA for having a kid, mine was unpaid at the time but allowed me to do other things and keep my coverage.

Back