Quoting software..external hard drive compatible?

MattSell

Quick question, I am expanding a bit with software and companies I represent especially on the life side. In short, I don't want to save a ton of quoting and carrier software programs on my laptop. I was thinking of purchasing either a small 4g flash drive or even an external hard drive to save at least most of the software on, my question is, has any one else used this method. I know it is not a huge investment especially the small flash drives but thought I would ask before I ran to office max and bought one or the other. It is not that I don't have the memory on my laptop to handle it, I just don't really want to put it all on there if I don't have to.
-Matt

Quick question, I am expanding a bit with software and companies I represent especially on the life side. In short, I don't want to save a ton of quoting and carrier software programs on my laptop. I was thinking of purchasing either a small 4g flash drive or even an external hard drive to save at least most of the software on, my question is, has any one else used this method. I know it is not a huge investment especially the small flash drives but thought I would ask before I ran to office max and bought one or the other. It is not that I don't have the memory on my laptop to handle it, I just don't really want to put it all on there if I don't have to.
-Matt

Should work fine no matter what drive you put it on. It all depends on how they wrote the system. I once wrote a system that required it be installed and run on the C drive. Why? Because it made tech support easier in that all clients were the same instead of some running it on an E or H drive, etc. That was back in the day when C was the de-facto standard boot drive and few people had a second drive. Today that's not the case so I doubt any system would be written that has to run on a specific drive.

I can see where a system might need library files of the operating system and might assume they were on the same drive but I doubt you would run into that kind of restriction on modern software.

You should be fine.

Al

Back