Radio Ads

Not necessarily. I had one that didn't fail and there is an account of an ad campaign that is working. Just because something you did failed doesn't mean everyone else will.

Depends on what your definition of failure/success is. Expectation both short and long term has much to do with it. I would never, on this type of forum, suggest that a radio ad, one shot approach is a good idea. In combination with several other items that increase your ad impressions, I would suggest that would not be a bad idea. Lastly, no where did I say I failed.

Depends on what your definition of failure/success is. Expectation both short and long term has much to do with it. I would never, on this type of forum, suggest that a radio ad, one shot approach is a good idea. In combination with several other items that increase your ad impressions, I would suggest that would not be a bad idea. Lastly, no where did I say I failed.

You didn't have to.
I was just countering your solipsism with reality.

Heard an ad for 1-800-Medigap featuring Wink Martindale on Hannity today. Wonder if they are testing for AEP; we will see if they are still on in the spring.

You should ALWAYS expect direct response ads -- in ANY medium -- to produce results IMMEDIATELY, and, if not, be eliminated.

Heavy hitters like SelectQuote, Fat Tony in Atlanta, etc., spend gobs of money trialing ads to see what works and do well producing results. IMMEDIATELY.

That's what lead generation is all about.

I ran a radio ad for the area I live in to try to generate some business. Did not get one phone call and it was way too xpensive. I agree that the only benfit is to keep your name out there. And you run along campaign to make it worth while and its not cheap. I suggest you spend your dollars elsewhere.

Obviously, some of you guys using the radio don't know how to use the radio. Sounds like perhaps you're listening too much to your friendly radio time sales person instead of truly understanding the medium. In fact, nothing works better than radio to get high quality, interested right now prospects to pick up the phone and call.

But, you have to do it right. ?

Obviously, some of you guys using the radio don't know how to use the radio. Sounds like perhaps you're listening too much to your friendly radio time sales person instead of truly understanding the medium. In fact, nothing works better than radio to get high quality, interested right now prospects to pick up the phone and call.

But, you have to do it right. ?

What do you mean by "do it right"? Many of us on this forum followed exactly what was recommended by the radio experts at the station who sold the air time to us and failed. If you mean we need to spend more money I'll probably agree with you but I'm not going to do it. I can spend the same amount of money on direct mail and get a much more pin point accuracy demographic lead and in far higher quantities than radio. For most of us it's not about the medium used. It's about getting high quality and quantity leads with people who are ready to buy insurance....consistently. direct mail does this consistently. I don't have a huge advertising budget so I cannot afford to experiment with different stations/times/recordings/etc. However if you have a better way of doing it for less money I'm all ears.

Typically, the last person to listen to regarding how to run a successful radio campaign would be the sales person trying to sell you the package. There is a certain psychology to radio, and it is much more complex than the typical radio time sales person ever will understand.

I will give you a brief example to illustrate my point. When I lived in Denver a few years ago, I bought time on a very high-profile talk station, on a very high-profile show. The cost per minute was $285. I recorded the spot myself, because after all, I grew up in the radio business. I only ran the spot one time per week. That's right, one time., but it was a very specific time on specific days (small surcharge to do that). But you know what? Each time the spot ran, I received between 15 to 25 phone calls within the next 24 hours, the majority of which occurred within the first few minutes of the spot airing.

Needless to say, almost everything I did ran in conflict with the sales person's recommendations. But I didn't give a damn. I knew what he wanted, which was volume, and I knew what I wanted, which was results.

In a nutshell, you need the right audience first and foremost, then you need the right message, delivered just the right way, and at just the right time. Simple formula that is very difficult to execute.

Those radio sales people want you to build a brand. I don't have time for that crap. I need the damn phone to ring now, as in five minutes ago. I will rely on new customers I generate to build the brand for me (at the expense of the radio stations profit line).

Think of radio ads like candy at the checkout stand, and you will quickly realize how wrong, dead wrong, those radio experts really are.

Typically, the last person to listen to regarding how to run a successful radio campaign would be the sales person trying to sell you the package. There is a certain psychology to radio, and it is much more complex than the typical radio time sales person ever will understand.

I will give you a brief example to illustrate my point. When I lived in Denver a few years ago, I bought time on a very high-profile talk station, on a very high-profile show. The cost per minute was $285. I recorded the spot myself, because after all, I grew up in the radio business. I only ran the spot one time per week. That's right, one time., but it was a very specific time on specific days (small surcharge to do that). But you know what? Each time the spot ran, I received between 15 to 25 phone calls within the next 24 hours, the majority of which occurred within the first few minutes of the spot airing.

Needless to say, almost everything I did ran in conflict with the sales person's recommendations. But I didn't give a damn. I knew what he wanted, which was volume, and I knew what I wanted, which was results.

In a nutshell, you need the right audience first and foremost, then you need the right message, delivered just the right way, and at just the right time. Simple formula that is very difficult to execute.

Those radio sales people want you to build a brand. I don't have time for that crap. I need the damn phone to ring now, as in five minutes ago. I will rely on new customers I generate to build the brand for me (at the expense of the radio stations profit line).

Think of radio ads like candy at the checkout stand, and you will quickly realize how wrong, dead wrong, those radio experts really are.

I completely agree about the radio sales people...they want volume because it means more money for them...learned that the hard way. So, what are the best time slots? What's the secret sauce? If I was to go back in there and negotiate with the station, what would you recommend I do? Please give specifics. Thx.

Last edited:
"In fact, nothing works better than radio to get high quality, interested right now prospects to pick up the phone and call.
A lot has changed in the last few years. Why not cite a recent example of how great radio ads are.

I think, for most who have tried them recently, the ROI did not justify continuing. Same thing for newspaper ads. Both are dying mediums.

Back