Rand Paul Compares Universal Health Care to Slavery

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Not much of a story here except this guy just cranked up the crazy. Slavery?

"With regard to the idea of whether you have a right to health care, you have realize what that implies,” the senator said. “It’s not an abstraction. I’m a physician. That means you have a right to come to my house and conscript me.”
“It means you believe in slavery,” Paul added. “It means that you’re going to enslave not only me, but the janitor at my hospital, the person who cleans my office, the assistants who work in my office, the nurses.”
“Basically, once you imply a belief in a right to someone’s services — do you have a right to plumbing? Do you have a right to water? Do you have right to food? — you’re basically saying you believe in slavery.”"

Rand Paul Compares Health Care To Slavery | News One

Crazy but in essence it is true. If you have a "right" to a good or service that you have to get from someone else, then I guess they don't have the right to not perform the service you have a right to, so that would make them a slave, right? Or maybe I should say, correct or I will get my use of the word "right" mixed up!

I just read what a wrote and it sounds crazy too! Maybe we are ALL just crazy!

The word "right" is difficult. We have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Now...

Do I have "right" to local police protection? Technically not. Does someone who rents an apartment (ei: doesn't pay property taxes) have a right to the same police protection? How 'bout someone without a job who pays nothing into the system. Same right to police protection?

I'm not sure this is the proper parallel but I'm not sure I'd compare my local police force to slaves. However, since a cop is told to go to a call and if he doesn't follow that order he can be fired, are cops slaves? Please.

Just look at those folks in Greece and parts of Europe where the govt is trying to modify health care, vacations, work weeks and retirement. Doesn't seem to be working so well.

Actually, you don't have a right to police protection. It may be provided to you, but you have NO SAY in how it works for you as an individual, unless you open your wallet and buy some coverage (which most police departments do provide).

Police departments work for state and local governments, not individuals. Need someone to investigate who stole the bicycle? Probably not going to happen. You don't have a right to this, but again, it might be provided.

Interesting thought process though....

Dan

I agree. We have very little real "rights." The right to life and liberty simply means I can live in a tent somewhere.

I have no right to housing, food, water, etc...We must work for that.

I'm not too sure we had gov't housing in the 1700's. There's an ax. There's a tree. Have at it.

I joked in another thread about a draft for doctors, but don't be surprised the lengths the government will have to go to in order to provide enough PCPs if everyone has a right to care.

Not much of a story here except this guy just cranked up the crazy. Slavery?

"With regard to the idea of whether you have a right to health care, you have realize what that implies,” the senator said. “It’s not an abstraction. I’m a physician. That means you have a right to come to my house and conscript me.”
“It means you believe in slavery,” Paul added. “It means that you’re going to enslave not only me, but the janitor at my hospital, the person who cleans my office, the assistants who work in my office, the nurses.”
“Basically, once you imply a belief in a right to someone’s services — do you have a right to plumbing? Do you have a right to water? Do you have right to food? — you’re basically saying you believe in slavery.”"

Rand Paul Compares Health Care To Slavery | News One

I don't think he is crazy.

Back