Rank These In Order of Priority.....

good luck making a living selling that......the PEOPLES #1 priority is health insurance.....

The original question wasn't what the average Joe's priority is, but what priority you would put on them for the average Joe.

It's somewhat like the question of if you only have $20 till payday, do you buy gas so you can get to work, or do you buy food so you have the strength to work?

Average Joe is concerned about the realities of today and tomorrow, not next month or next year. If you have a family, health insurance is usually one of these realities. If you don't have a family, frequently, invincibility is a necessity, and therefore a reality, so why have health insurance?

Nobody wants life insurance, much less disability insurance, and heck, what is long term care anyway?

There is no answer to the original question, but I'll take the position that if you are young you need to have catastrophic medical, and then work on your retirement. As you age, let the power of time deal with your retirement, and focus on coverage for health, disability, and life. You should get life coverage as soon as you have a need.

Now, don't expect what I sell to line up with what I think they should do.

Dan

The guy who owns the garage where I have my auto repair work done is going into the hospital tomorrow for a knee replacement. BTW he does half the work himself so I would certainly consider him "blue collar." Fortunately, he has DI as well as health insurance. I believe the hospital stay will be 3 days, but the recuperation will be at least 2 months. He has had to hire someone to replace himself to work with his trusted employee who will run the business while he is out of commission. Unfortunately, he does not have BOE DI which would be helpful in this situation. As Bob said, DI and health should be considered equal to a point.

I would agree that Health is at the top as it comes in use far more than most anything else.

As far as what I sell, the average Joe gets a Life Insurance policy with ABR's that cover most major junk. Stick in a Chronic Care Income Rider along with disability rider, waiver of monthly premium(in case disabled) and your pretty well set.

I would not consider Life Insurance a retirement plan but it can supplement it rather well.

Health

Life or Disability (this would be case by case)

Retirement

Umbrella

Can't believe someone picked retirement first..........

I changed it. I put them in wrong order but for some reason I was not able to edit changes in the forum since yesterday. Now I fixed it.

I have had difficulty editing posts too. Even tried literally within a few minutes of posting.

Especially when I say something disconcerting about Chumps. I mean, I really shouldn't be so hard on the guy.

He pays his rent on time, only plays polka music on his accordion during the agreed upon hours and his dominatrix only comes once a week and leaves after an hour.

We usually turn the stereo way up to drown out his cries.

Health
Life
Umbrella (ranked this high only because it is cheap and very affordable)
Retirement
Disability
LTCI

I'm going to ask a serious question:

We all would nod in agreement that MOST people we deal with have only so much disposable income to buy insurance and invest for retirement... so with that being said, IN WHAT ORDER WOULD YOU PRIORITIZE the following risk concerns for the average Joe out there:

Life Insurance
Health Insurance
Disability Insurance
Retirement Planning (IRA, 401(k), ROTH, etc.)
Umbrella policy
(We'll assume that homeowners/auto are mandated, so leave 'em out)
Long-Term Care

I'm not even going to consider adding "Critical Illness, Dental and Accident Plans" Let's just play in the majors for now!

In What Order SHOULD they be most important to your client/prospect!??? And no screaming-mimi responses from you yahoo's that will be inclined to talk about "needs analysis" and "sitting-down-with-a-client to "discuss" their goals....... EVERYONE (ok, the vast majority) face these issues, so let's KEEP IT IN GENERAL TERMS!!!!!

Life insurance is the foundation. You can have every other problem on the list and you can recover from it. You can get sick and pay for it out of pocket. You can be out of work for 6 months and eventually recover. You die and that is it.

2. DI

3. Umbrella liability insurance. You sick bastages on here that are so focused on health insurance that you really don't see the forest from the trees. I bet most of you don't even think of your liability risks. Do you know how many lawsuits are filed everyday in this country?

4. Health insurance

The others aren't even close to these 4 so I'll leave them off completely.

Though if I had to put a list together retirement I guess and then LTC. Retirement is a misnomer these days. People don't just one day wake up and quit working. Those that do are usually dead within a couple of years.

Life insurance is the foundation. You can have every other problem on the list and you can recover from it. You can get sick and pay for it out of pocket. You can be out of work for 6 months and eventually recover. You die and that is it.

2. DI

3. Umbrella liability insurance. You sick bastages on here that are so focused on health insurance that you really don't see the forest from the trees. I bet most of you don't even think of your liability risks. Do you know how many lawsuits are filed everyday in this country?

4. Health insurance

The others aren't even close to these 4 so I'll leave them off completely.

Though if I had to put a list together retirement I guess and then LTC. Retirement is a misnomer these days. People don't just one day wake up and quit working. Those that do are usually dead within a couple of years.

how about if you could only afford one out of the list....what would it be....

Back