Rank These In Order of Priority.....

Honestly though, if I had to advise a client over health insurance and life insurance, and they could only afford one, what would it be?

Take out poor people, because they can get govt assistance but lets say a husband a wife with one child, no health insurance and no life insurance.... Getting by and can only afford $200 per month. Dont qualify for government assistance... They know they need life insurance and health insurance, what would you do....

Ill go ahead and go out on a limb and take the criticism, but I would first place a high deductible health plan and try to squeeze in some life... I just cant imagine not having both, a family must have both....

The other problem is with this high deductible plan, how are they going to afford doctor visits before they meet the deductible?

What would you do?

Exactly! Use the $200 they weren't paying in premiums previously to pay the doctor bill. :twitchy::twitchy:

Dan

So what would you present ? Family of 3. No life or health insurance. $200 per month is what they can afford.

I went out on a limb, your turns DJS and STI. Im not saying Im right, Im interested to see what you'd do.

This is where I get to cop out a bit.... I'm a P&C guy, so I'd sell them their car insurance.

Now, realize I'm in California, your answer may vary.....
Help them get the kids on Healthy Families. Nothing beats a $5 copay for the kids, and then put some sort of plan on mom & dad, without concern about lifetime cap, but trying to keep the deductible manageable. Not sure what plan this would be though...

I'd like to see some life, 10 year term for now (convertable), due to cash crunch. Not sure if the $200 would swing this though.

The real answer depends on how reliable the $200 is. Makes me nervous.

Dan

This is where I get to cop out a bit.... I'm a P&C guy, so I'd sell them their car insurance.

Now, realize I'm in California, your answer may vary.....
Help them get the kids on Healthy Families. Nothing beats a $5 copay for the kids, and then put some sort of plan on mom & dad, without concern about lifetime cap, but trying to keep the deductible manageable. Not sure what plan this would be though...

I'd like to see some life, 10 year term for now (convertable), due to cash crunch. Not sure if the $200 would swing this though.

The real answer depends on how reliable the $200 is. Makes me nervous.

Dan

Ya good excuse! You could sell them car insurance and say you have to buy this before life or health because its required by law, haha!

Honestly though, if I had to advise a client over health insurance and life insurance, and they could only afford one, what would it be? Take out poor people, because they can get govt assistance but lets say a husband a wife with one child, no health insurance and no life insurance.... Getting by and can only afford $200 per month. Dont qualify for government assistance... They know they need life insurance and health insurance, what would you do.... Ill go ahead and go out on a limb and take the criticism, but I would first place a high deductible health plan and try to squeeze in some life... I just cant imagine not having both, a family must have both.... The other problem is with this high deductible plan, how are they going to afford doctor visits before they meet the deductible? What would you do?

Let's face it. People in this situation are in a very bad position. I know because I was at one time in a position with no health insurance and no retirement and no means to acquire any without a change of jobs (non-profit) . I did have $100,000 of cheap term life insurance. It was less than $200 per year. Without health insurance if a family has a major illness they are screwed. Without life insurance on the main provider if they die the family and the spouse are screwed. If one looks at someone in this position the most affordable protection is some inexpensive life coverage. I am not saying that life insurance is more important than health I am just saying that it is usually the most affordable coverage.

Last edited:
Exactly! Use the $200 they weren't paying in premiums previously to pay the doctor bill. :twitchy::twitchy:

Dan

but what about the cancer treatment......sorry your husbands dieing but aren't you glad you have that $50,000 wl I sold you.....

Back