Real Estate and Property & Casualty

Jun 11, 2019

1. insre1234

insre1234 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wanted to see if i could get any recent opinions on Real Estate Agents also selling Property & Casualty.

Both my wife and I are in Real Estate. We have in past referred business between a few insurance companies. I recently was approached by a Insurance Broker who said I should pick up My Insurance license and sell Home Owners Insurance through him. My first thought was this would just be another services I could directly offer my buyers and still make a little bit on the side.

My other thought though is this would give me another great reason to always stay in touch with past clients.

I know the big debate on this so far has been if you are doing to much then what are you really a master at, however my thought is, unlike most agents in my area as soon as they get a question that isn't 100% related to their job they just pass the question off. As someone who knows more than most agent when it comes to home construction, whats going on in my community, things happening in the mortgage industry I am always amazed by the lack of knowledge in other real estate agents. My clients are always amazed by what questions I am able to answer for them. So to me this is just another tool in my toolbox that I can speak intelligently about when I am with a client or just a social or networking event that sets me apart from other Real Estate Agents.

Anyone else out there selling real estate and insurance?

2. JWP

JWP New Member

I sold Real Estate before getting into insurance. There were many things I learned in real estate that helped me become a better insurance agent, but I don't think the 2 professions blend well enough to be able to do both jobs well at the same time.

JWP, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Mike007

Mike007 Expert

State:
    California
    It's not a bad idea to partner up with an insurance broker and you send him a referral and you two split a commission. But work out where he does the servicing and not you. It could be time-consuming.

I would not recommend opening your own insurance agency unless you have the time to commit to it. Customer service is a pain in the P&C industry.

Mike007, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    I own a small real estate company, and I am an independent agent. I decided to keep the real estate business small, and expand on insurance. As a general rule, I see people do better when they focus on 1 thing and do it well.