Real Estate and Property & Casualty

insre1234

Wanted to see if i could get any recent opinions on Real Estate Agents also selling Property & Casualty.

Both my wife and I are in Real Estate. We have in past referred business between a few insurance companies. I recently was approached by a Insurance Broker who said I should pick up My Insurance license and sell Home Owners Insurance through him. My first thought was this would just be another services I could directly offer my buyers and still make a little bit on the side.

My other thought though is this would give me another great reason to always stay in touch with past clients.

I know the big debate on this so far has been if you are doing to much then what are you really a master at, however my thought is, unlike most agents in my area as soon as they get a question that isn't 100% related to their job they just pass the question off. As someone who knows more than most agent when it comes to home construction, whats going on in my community, things happening in the mortgage industry I am always amazed by the lack of knowledge in other real estate agents. My clients are always amazed by what questions I am able to answer for them. So to me this is just another tool in my toolbox that I can speak intelligently about when I am with a client or just a social or networking event that sets me apart from other Real Estate Agents.

Anyone else out there selling real estate and insurance?

I sold Real Estate before getting into insurance. There were many things I learned in real estate that helped me become a better insurance agent, but I don't think the 2 professions blend well enough to be able to do both jobs well at the same time.

It's not a bad idea to partner up with an insurance broker and you send him a referral and you two split a commission. But work out where he does the servicing and not you. It could be time-consuming.

I would not recommend opening your own insurance agency unless you have the time to commit to it. Customer service is a pain in the P&C industry.

I'm both a licensed realtor and insurance broker here in OH.

I've found cross-selling opportunities on both sides of the transaction, which helps deepen a good working relationship with clients while also generating additional revenue.

The key is being compliant and doing it the right way. Some states are stricter than others, and many times it can be difficult to ascertain what exactly is, and isn't allowed. Best bet is to make sure that your name isn't on both sides of a transaction (real estate purchase/sale contract and property insurance policy).

adjusterjack - not quite sure who you're calling a moron, but better check your ego at the door.

In no way, shape, or form have I ever plugged my own insurance brokerage, nor the real estate firm I work for.

What's the old adage about people who think they know everything?

In no way, shape, or form have I ever plugged my own insurance brokerage, nor the real estate firm I work for.

Then there's no reason to get defensive over something that obviously doesn't apply to you.
:yes:

My comment was 3 weeks ago and, apparently, the original #5 and #7 spams were removed after I reported them, resulting in your post being moved up to #7 and marindependent moved up to #5.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I deleted my comment.

Last edited:
Back