Really stuck on a major decision

Dexes

Expert
So today I just passed my life insurance and currently have my P&C. I work for SF but I just don't know if I should be independent or stay captive. I really like life insurance, auto insurance is kind of boring. Commercial and the complexity of it I like better. I've posted previously about this sub par office with a bad agent with no business sense or ambition. So I really need some advice/opinion. I'm in Los Angeles and the market is tough. I really don't know if I should go independent or not. I have a rock solid offer with a captive SF agent, yet I see a lot of perks of being independent.

Just to add. I find auto insurance way too simple. I really like life insurance and commercial. I could fall asleep quoting someones car.

My State Farm agent had an assistant that handled almost all of our car insurance issues the last 15-20 years I was with him.

My State Farm agent had an assistant that handled almost all of our car insurance issues the last 15-20 years I was with him.
I have a solid opportunity set up with an office that has a admin and an appointment setter. 5 team members and the agent. Office writes big numbers, mainly commercial and life.

I have a solid opportunity set up with an office that has a admin and an appointment setter. 5 team members and the agent. Office writes big numbers, mainly commercial and life.

(not an agent)

Is the agent enough older than you that you would have an opportunity, over the other team members, of getting the agency when the agent retires?

(not an agent)

Is the agent enough older than you that you would have an opportunity, over the other team members, of getting the agency when the agent retires?
The agent is 10 years older than me. He also is opening a second office in the future.

Last edited:
SF doesn't transfer agencies intact, at least not that I know of. Their contracts are with the agent whose office it is, and non-transferable.

If you like commercial and are bored with auto, talk to some independent agents in your area. You don't even have to leave your current place, just talk to them about what kind of business they write. If they are commercial agents, they should barely see you as a competitor.

I'm the same way, I think I would die writing auto all day. It's a commodity. Writing a builder's risk policy on a new high-rise project feels like skydiving by comparison. Decide for yourself, but consider that life is what you make of it, and making it an adventure is kindof half the fun.

Also I recommend keeping strong, friendly ties with your current SF agent and others you know. I mean, if you do go somewhere else. At least in my state, SF agents don't write a whole lot of commercial. I used get referrals from them all the time. I left the home and auto to them and took the engineers, carpentry shops, contractors, etc.

Back