Rear Ended Not at Fault but Was Not on Wife Policy

bucksfan

Hi,

New to the forum. I was driving my wife car and she was with me and someone rear ended us. Me and my wife was separated for a year living in two different homes. We have two cars and were on each other policies before the separation. My wife switched insurance companies for her car and never told me. We got back together 3 months ago.(Living together)

I have a older car with liability insurance and she has full coverage. The driver who hit us was issued a citation and she also hit another car. The driver who hit us has the same insurance as I do but not my wife insurance. My wife called he insurance to file a claim and will talk with a adjuster later today.

Questions:

Will her insurance cover the damages to my wife car?
If she did not have insurance will my wife insurance still go after me or her for damages?

Will my wife insurance cover the car and other drivers or just her?

Will her insurance and mine (Same insurance) sue me?

Should I retain a lawyer? I am not hurt. I just want my wife car fixed and I do not want to be liable.

I live in the State of Wisconsin.

Thank you for you help.

My mom was hit from behind. Mom didnt change lanes and was at speed limit for a lengthy time.

She was going 45 mph on access. Young driver barreled off freeway and rear ended hard.

When cop came. Boy lied to police saying my mom exited parking lot in front of him. Cop caught him lying when he noted that parking lot exit is too far away from accident. Boy then changed story and said mom was driving slow. Cop sided with boy and gave traffic report stating no one's fault. At least that was what insurance company told us. Even though they both had insurance, my mom's insurance had to pay for everything for both cars.

My point is that you can make a statistical guess what way the police and insurance will go, but anything can happen.

Anything can happen, yes, but the adjuster is not required to agree with the police report. They can launch their own investigation. Without trying to speculate, if the other driver is at fault it shouldnt matter whether you are listed for her insurance to pay. Now that your wife's insurance is aware of your new living arrangements, they may choose to nonrenew your wifes policy. They may reverse the decision if you are added. They may do nothing at all. The choice is theirs.

Back