Reasons for chargebacks?

OneMorePolicy

Expert
I'm a rookie in California, passed the state exam, awaiting license#, became interested in selling MA, especially Secure Horizons'. After reading some posts in this forum, looks like chargebacks occur frequently. I'm trying to find out from those who had chargebacks why they did come back so I can try to avoid that situation altogether. Thanks for any constructive input.

I'm a rookie in California, passed the state exam, awaiting license#, became interested in selling MA, especially Secure Horizons'. After reading some posts in this forum, looks like chargebacks occur frequently. I'm trying to find out from those who had chargebacks why they did come back so I can try to avoid that situation altogether. Thanks for any constructive input.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not participate in the senior market.

A friend of mine who does the MA thing tells me it's not at all uncommon for seniors to attend the free lunch meetings (it'a actually a sport here in the Sunshine State, especially this time of year) and sign up for a different one at each stop! I would imagine that would lead to chargebacks.

I don't know what Shoney's does the other 46 weeks of the year....

Chargebacks should not be a problem because unless the person is dual eligible, they can only change plans bascially once a year (there are a few exceptions).

Send me a PM if you'd like information on contracting with them.

Rick

Most charge backs are because the agent sold the prospect something they didn't need or couldn't afford. Agents using high pressure techniques are the ones who get the most charge backs.

The other reason is that the agent didn't know the product very well and failed to point out the important benefits of the policy.

Agents should use logic in their explanation of the policy, not the hype and scare tactics that a lot of agents are taught to use.

Most charge backs are because the agent sold the prospect something they didn't need or couldn't afford. Agents using high pressure techniques are the ones who get the most charge backs.

The other reason is that the agent didn't know the product very well and failed to point out the important benefits of the policy.

Agents should use logic in their explanation of the policy, not the hype and scare tactics that a lot of agents are taught to use.

One recruiter is looking for agents to sell Medicare Part C by Secure Horizons. (supposedly Kingdom Group has done the pre-set appt, verified client already has Medicare Parts A and B and no kidney failure, and thus its no additional charge to sign up for Part C which will pay for the 20% co-pay required for Part B. Supposedly, when I visit the client, the Part C sells itself because I don't need to leave with a check and since its a $0 additional charge for signing up for Part C since its already included in the premium for Part B and Part C pays for the 20% co-pay required for Part B, easy street is here. Client only needs to sign a 3 pager form. Disregarding the quality of the appointment made by Kingdom (assuming that's possible to separate from the chargeback issue), why would a client cancel later if its an apparent "can-only-win" proposition by signing up for Medicare Part C?

One recruiter is looking for agents to sell Medicare Part C by Secure Horizons. (supposedly Kingdom Group has done the pre-set appt, verified client already has Medicare Parts A and B and no kidney failure, and thus its no additional charge to sign up for Part C which will pay for the 20% co-pay required for Part B. Supposedly, when I visit the client, the Part C sells itself because I don't need to leave with a check and since its a $0 additional charge for signing up for Part C since its already included in the premium for Part B and Part C pays for the 20% co-pay required for Part B, easy street is here. Client only needs to sign a 3 pager form. Disregarding the quality of the appointment made by Kingdom (assuming that's possible to separate from the chargeback issue), why would a client cancel later if its an apparent "can-only-win" proposition by signing up for Medicare Part C?

There are a couple of reasons you might be "afraid", especially from Kingdom. The first reason is that in my opinion, they set terrible appointments and are not always the most ethical people to deal with. This is from experience.

Second, if the person is Medi-Medi, they can (and probably will) cancel very quickly. In fact, it is likely not appropriate to sign a dual eligible into a SH plan - especially the PFFS.

However, Secure Horizons REPLACES Medicare with private insurance. It doesn't pay the 20%, it doesn't pay the deductible, it is no a "can-only-win" situation. The benefits are per their policy and in no way does it interact with Medicare. In fact, Medicare basically does not exist as far as paying any claims.

This is not meant to be nasty, but you better learn about Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans before you start seeing clients. Based upon your statement, you have little knowledge about these programs and are one of the reasons CMS is on all of our backs.

If you are located in the Los Angeles area, I'll be happy to meet with you and give you a quick run-down on Medicare and Part C. It's not terribly complicated but if you don't know what you're doing, not only will you screw up yourself, but you could put you client in a position where he or she cannot receive medical care.

Rick

Last edited:
If, and only if, you are going to sell Med Advantage, please do your due dilligence. That's it; or you're asking for problems, BIG PROBLEMS.

This is not a time for rookies (no disrespect) to think it's easy, big money.... not suggesting you are or thinking this way.. just saying...

Some agents posted some really good advice. While I may not necessarily agree with all posters' feedback, much is accurate and correct. You have to yes, know Medicare as best as you can, know the various programs, ask the questions, know your products, the duals, the competitors, compliance, provider relationshins, claims, marketing, bunch of stuff... just A TON OF WORK... and your but it on the line... BIG TIME!

Just dig and learn all there is if and only if you plan to sell this.

There are a lot of really good people in this forum that are willing to help. Ask. Learn, and when in doubt... keep asking.. .eventually you'll find the answer.

P.S. Chargebacks are inevitable, whatever you write for various reasons that are sometimes not controllable by the writing agent. The key is to minimize it as much as possible on the front end if you're able.. again.. due you d.d., be ethical, professional, and proceed with caution. If it means you walk from the deal, then walk.

Good luck. Let us know how we can help.

P.S. Secure horizons is not for dual medi medis. if they're, howeve, on a different lower level of Medicaid, or on spend down, it may help, perhaps. You have to asses their costs and benefits and if they'll really be saving or paying more out of pocket.

Now A Special Needs Program for duals would be Evercare under UHC for those Medi Medis and it may not always be good for them to enroll - you could hurt them more than help. Further, doing a SNP, TRUST ME, is a whole other animal and world when the state takes care of those folks and will vary greatly per county and what area you work and how helpful those case workers are!

Watch that one .. BIG TIME!

Back