Rebating Florida small group

My residence license is in KY, I am also licensed in FL. I know in FL rebating is not illegal, but I am not sure how this is working : I got contacted by client for a small health group plan via GeoBlue. Quote was provided including my 15%commission ( by contract) thru Geoblue underwriting . Client was approached by an other agent, which stated she will go with 8% and drop clients monthly premium. I did not think one can pick and choose commission % as agent pleases and
I thought it was illegal to do so to gain business.
Thank you for any information.

I've seen self funded groups allow for variable commission to the agent, and allow the agent to either pocket the whole enchilada, or win the biz from another agent. Agents also use this as leverage to offset any rate increases in the future to keep biz on books. Up 10%, give up 5% commish, brings rate increase down to 5%.

Small group paying 15%? Most of the carriers I work with are 7% max. When you go down the rabbit hole of competing on price, it's a race to the bottom. If you're not competing on value, then you're just reinforcing the false notion that we as group benefit brokers are just another commodity.

Back