Rebranding a Manufactured Lotion

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
Do you need products liability if you rebrand a manufactured lotion?

The manufacture gives you vendor ai status, but if you only get premise gl, if a claim arises, will you file the claim to the manufactured insurance?

What kind of coverage would a lotion seller need?

I don't know the answer but it will probably depend on the manufacture. A lot of supplements, teeth whiteners and lotions are private label. Companies buy them wholesale and just slap their own brand on the bottle, the formula is the same just a different name. I have a friend that does it with supplements and the manufacture has carries the product liability.

pretty much just buying the same formula same product and slapping a label on it.

The lotion suppose to get rid of rashes or what not. Do you think you would need product liability yourself, when you slap your label on it and claims it cures this and that.

Most admitted carriers will decline you even if products liability is handled elsewhere. They don't want anything to do with that type of risk.
You'll very likely have to go excess and request PL exclusion, or find a beauty product program that will take it.

Definitely think it would be a good idea to have products liability. If a suit were to happen, you hope the manufacture has coverage, but either way the person slapping the label on is going to get pulled into the suit.

so even if the manufacture has the coverage and has you listed as vendor AI, you should still cover yourself with pl?

The manufacture wont defend you if they pulled you into a claim?

so even if the manufacture has the coverage and has you listed as vendor AI, you should still cover yourself with pl?

The manufacture wont defend you if they pulled you into a claim?

If they are listed as an AI, they should be fine. I would make sure you have a copy of the endorsement and the agreement between the manufacturer and vendor. Make sure the AI endorsement isn't for vicarious liability.

Back