Recommended Carriers for Short Term DI for Individuals.

I deal in the individual life/health market and would like to know which carriers are recommended for my individual clients. Specifically, I have been asked for short term disability recently.

Thanks!
Katie

By and large, individual short term DI doesn't exist. And if it does, you don't want it.

A better solution is to put some money aside in savings and ensure they have an individual DI policy with an appropriate elimination period.

Mutual of Omaha will do STD but just like Vol said, I'd honestly recommend LTD. Ask the clients which is more important to them- getting paid for 90 days and the not for 5 years or waiting 90 days then getting paid for 5 years.

That isn't a rhetorical question, some people honestly might need the money right up front without a large elimination period.

MoO does STD, Assurity is good for DI, and so is Illinois Mutual from what I hear. I haven't had the chance to use them yet but they seem to be decent in rates from quotes I have seen.

I think Assurity has a DI that is graded benefit so for the first 2 years you get less benefit but then the years after you get the full amount, allowing for more people to get DI.

Back