Reconciliation Process

I'm trying to get clarification on exactly what can or can't change with ACA under the reconciliation process. It sounds like Medicaid expansion certainly can be rolled back. I am finding conflicting reports regarding Advanced Premium Tax Credits and Cost Share Reduction Subsidies.

I'm trying to get clarification on exactly what can or can't change with ACA under the reconciliation process. It sounds like Medicaid expansion certainly can be rolled back. I am finding conflicting reports regarding Advanced Premium Tax Credits and Cost Share Reduction Subsidies.

That's an easy question to answer! Just wait 15 days and whatever repeal actions that the administration puts on the chopping block are the items that can be changed with the reconcilliation process or executive order. The rest takes a congressional vote.

The Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) do not need to go through the reconciliation process. The Trump Administration only needs to drop the Obama Administration's appeal in the House v Burwell case.

An agreement between the Trump administration and the House to dismiss the appeal in House v. Burwell and let the lower court’s order to stop reimbursing insurers for cost-sharing reductions stand could immediately launch the marketplaces, and indeed the entire individual insurance market, into chaos without Congress having to take any further action.

Reference: House Seeks Pause In Cost-Sharing Reduction Litigation (Updated)

Back