Recruiting

How do you guys recruit agents under you? My business partner and I are looking to recruit another agent to work with us. What methods do you guys use to attract talent? People seem scared to make the jump from paycheck to commission, and I know it can be scary. She is even prepared to pay a small base salary the first year or so to get them started in addition to advertising. We are willing to train the right person, so experience is not a necessity. Had one girl we both liked and were going to bring in, but her mom (who was unsuccessful selling AFLAC) talked her out of it.

How do you guys recruit agents under you? My business partner and I are looking to recruit another agent to work with us. What methods do you guys use to attract talent? People seem scared to make the jump from paycheck to commission, and I know it can be scary. She is even prepared to pay a small base salary the first year or so to get them started in addition to advertising. We are willing to train the right person, so experience is not a necessity. Had one girl we both liked and were going to bring in, but her mom (who was unsuccessful selling AFLAC) talked her out of it.

If you are just wanting one agent in your local area, it's easy. Just pay attention to people who are doing a great job waiting on you when you are shopping. Great agents are out there making no money selling shoes, computers, hamburgers, waitress/waiter, etc.

If they can smile and treat you with courtesy you are half way there. Change their life!

If you are just wanting one agent in your local area, it's easy. Just pay attention to people who are doing a great job waiting on you when you are shopping. Great agents are out there making no money selling shoes, computers, hamburgers, waitress/waiter, etc.

If they can smile and treat you with courtesy you are half way there. Change their life!
Sounds like the MLM screening process.

Finding and training new agents is difficult. Those in the business already often come with bad habits, misinformation, and a sense of entitlement. Others new to the industry lack perspective of how hard it really can be out there (getting leads especially), and will gauge their expectations entirely off what you provide them, whether you make it easy or not.

All of them want the big prize, but few want the process. Once they get wind from FMO's or other people trying to recruit them of how their comps can be much higher and life is so much easier down "their" path, then all of your hard work and expense of training them might go in the toilet.

No i'm not providing solutions, merely warnings. Good luck!

The nice thing is, she is wanting them to do pretty much what I’ve done and it’s worked for me. Comps are at highest level, because our FMO just pays her an override on what I write. Business belongs to the person who writes it, so there’s no real reason to go anywhere else. Training, base salary, and help if needed when going for the insurance license if we get someone green. It’s ideal for someone wanting to leave captive and go independent but ease the first year woes or someone with no experience who is interested in something new.

The nice thing is, she is wanting them to do pretty much what I’ve done and it’s worked for me. Comps are at highest level, because our FMO just pays her an override on what I write. Business belongs to the person who writes it, so there’s no real reason to go anywhere else. Training, base salary, and help if needed when going for the insurance license if we get someone green. It’s ideal for someone wanting to leave captive and go independent but ease the first year woes or someone with no experience who is interested in something new.

What I bolded above is kind of a contradiction. The FMO pays an override or the insurance company? If the FMO pays the override, then it sounds like the business belongs to the FMO and not the agent.

Back