Referral Reply Requested

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
This morning I was looking over some referrals that I have not called. Some are on the DNC list so I cannot legally call them. I was thinking about sending them a letter along the lines of:

Dear

I recently was able to help(referrers name) in planning for (his /her) final expenses by providing (him/her) information about the state regulated burial insurance plans that are available in to residents of Tennessee.

Please take a moment to review the enclosed brochure and if you would like to receive the information that (referrers name) found to be beneficial, give me a call at (XX-XXX-XXXX) or mail the postage free card that is attached.

Sincerely,

SNL,has a great 'Peace of Mind" tri-fold brochure with a Business Reply Card attached.(Other companies may have similar pieces. I know Settlers does) I thought I would enclose that with the letter in a hand addressed envelope. The total cost would only be about 53 cents per letter. (postage, envelope, paper). The time involved would be minimal.

Has anyone tried this?

I don't see you wasting your time like that. At the most have the person you got the referral from let them know you'll be calling. If they don't want you to call they will say so.

DNC is for cold contacts as far as I know. If someone gives you a friends number and says "they need help with this", you can call that person.

I was always told, "if you are given the number and told by another consumer to call them, you are ok to make that call".

DNC is for cold contacts as far as I know. If someone gives you a friends number and says "they need help with this", you can call that person.

I was always told, "if you are given the number and told by another consumer to call them, you are ok to make that call".
I could be wrong, but I understood that you had to check to see if a referral was on the DNC list, because the referral didn't request to be contacted.

At the car dealership we worked hard for referrals and got a fair number of them from month to month. Not once did we check the referral against the DNC. I'm not saying it meets the letter of the law, but if the DNC law short circuits folks giving and getting referrals then that would be an unfortunate, and I assume, unintended consequence of the law.
It not does not meet the letter of the law, it does not meet the spirit of the law. And, it is not an unintended consequence. If I do not want to receive solicitations and place my name on the DNC list, what right does my friend have to override my desires? None, so if he gives you my name, that still does not give you the right to call.

There re only four exemptions to the DNC and referral is not one of them:

1. you only call to solicit charitable contributions; or
  2. you only call consumers with whom you have an established business relationship; or
  3. you only call consumers from whom you have received written permission to call; or
  4. you only make business-to-business calls.
And, even in the case of the established business relationship, if they request you put them on your DNC list, you are forbidden to make future calls.

I know there are a lot of people that do not comply and I would say a person would be less likely to make a complaint since you are calling at the request of one of their friends, but with the size of the penalties, it only takes one hard nose case turning you in to cost you serious money:

FTC Raises Certain Fines to $40,000 a Pop! | Contact Center Compliance

It not does not meet the letter of the law, it does not meet the spirit of the law. And, it is not an unintended consequence. If I do not want to receive solicitations and place my name on the DNC list, what right does my friend have to override my desires? None, so if he gives you my name, that still does not give you the right to call.

There re only four exemptions to the DNC and referral is not one of them:

1. you only call to solicit charitable contributions; or
  2. you only call consumers with whom you have an established business relationship; or
  3. you only call consumers from whom you have received written permission to call; or
  4. you only make business-to-business calls.
And, even in the case of the established business relationship, if they request you put them on your DNC list, you are forbidden to make future calls.

I know there are a lot of people that do not comply and I would say a person would be less likely to make a complaint since you are calling at the request of one of their friends, but with the size of the penalties, it only takes one hard nose case turning you in to cost you serious money:

FTC Raises Certain Fines to $40,000 a Pop! | Contact Center Compliance
You forgot political calls. They're exempt, too. They can even make robocalls. :mad:

Back