Referrals!!!

timamr

Guru
100+ Post Club
How do YOU get Referrals!!!

Can you health insurance pros enlighten me as to how you gain quality referrals for individual health insurance? I deal mostly with small business owners and have received very few referrals.

I remember about 8 years ago before I was in the insurance biz. but self employed, a life insurance guy sold me a nice policy and before he left, he also walked out of my house with about 10-12 names and numbers. I was eager to help him, and I know for a fact that he made 2 more sales. I just dont recall how he done it so easily.

The ones I have received were from past clients who had their "people" call me. I guess what I am asking is.......How do I ask for referrals after making a sale, without sounding like I am begging?

Last edited:
Re: How do YOU get Referrals!!!

Can you health insurance pros enlighten me as to how you gain quality referrals for individual health insurance? I deal mostly with small business owners and have received very few referrals.

I remember about 8 years ago before I was in the insurance biz. but self employed, a life insurance guy sold me a nice policy and before he left, he also walked out of my house with about 10-12 names and numbers. I was eager to help him, and I know for a fact that he made 2 more sales. I just dont recall how he done it so easily.

The ones I have received were from past clients who had their "people" call me. I guess what I am asking is.......How do I ask for referrals after making a sale, without sounding like I am begging?

The life insurance agent asked for the names. There are many scripts some of them go something like this. John many people wonder how I am compensated. Part of my compensation comes from the carrier in the form of a commission yada yada yada the other way I am compensated is by you allowing me to help others just like yourself recieve the benefits that this policy will provide. With that in mind who do you....

The above type of referral really is not much warmer than a cold call....The kind you want is when the client does this on thier own after being your customer and benefiting from the value add that you provide. Those referrals take time and doing what you say you will do.

I live on local networking and referrals but never ask for one, I just do a good job for my clients and wait for the phone to ring.

It takes time but eventually it works. If I was dependent on writing 5 new policies a week I would have to do more prospecting (and have in the past) but this is the wrong environment to spend marketing money on U65 health insurance right now, IMO.

Perhaps you don't ask... you inform. For example, Mr. and Mrs. Smith I appreciate your working with me and if you ever have any questions about your insurance or any X products feel free to use me as a resource. And if you know anybody that has questions about insurance, don't hesitate to have them reach out to me as well. I'd be more than happy to talk to them.

I never liked to appear to be "begging" for referrals and here you're not asking... your informing them you want to help and call you if they ever need anything. It may not be a tangible direct method for referrals...just show you want to help them. But you do have to ask...maybe start here and hone your own method.

My signature in every email to every client and prospects STARTS with "Thank you for your referrals!" Seems to work pretty well, without even asking.

My signature in every email to every client and prospects STARTS with "Thank you for your referrals!" Seems to work pretty well, without even asking.

Thank is a really good idea!

On the group side, ask the owner or controller. Then on the groups let the employee know that you can help them reduce their cost in the individual market. I have had a lot of success with this approach. A lot of people say you will erode the group plan this way. As long as the employer is taking care of the employee you will be OK.

I would say the way the market is going be ready for the groups to drop off. There will be a lot of individual policies to sell.

If you want to get real ballsy, put "Thanks in advance for your referrals"

But, it can be too presumptive, but the client may feel they need to follow through..........or I'll raise their rates :D

I think that's great that you have that in your emails, but I get a lot of emails and can tell you that I don't remember what they have in it. No harm no foul... but I think actually saying the words with a sincere and genuine interest to help them asking them use you are a resource and for others to do so as well just takes it up a notch. My two cents...

I send a handmade thank you card (made by my mom in law), to each client with 2 biz cards. That gives them another hint.

Of course, verbally asking is the best. Subtlety also works. Plus, all of my biz is by phone/internet, and there are not too many people who don't get rate ups on approval. Good news, then bad news, then asking for a referral is tough. If I bring a home run, I always ask.

Back