Refund of premiums drafted erroneously by Humana

J Leigh

I have been working on getting the money that Humana drafted from my account for 6 months after my policy was canceled.I changed to BCBS and never made a claim to Humana. Did not discover it right away because the account was not used. They have me send record of faxing cancellation form- etc. I feel they are waiting to frustrate me enough to go away. I do not know if an insurance agent would have more influence or be connected. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
J Leigh

She sent me the form I filled out and signed to cancel policy. Which was sent to Humana to investigate. I had to close the account to stop. They say they did not receive the document. I called many times once I discovered the drafts and was never told that the policy was "active". Is there a special department in Humana I should be contacting? My agent will do what she can- unfortunately she is in another state and just doing Life insurance now.

Calls do not work ever never have never will, paper trail has to always be established in any business transaction if there is no paper trail there is little in the way of official documented proof to support your claims. What you need to do is establish proof that you 1. had money taken out of your accout and getting a bank record showing that would be the first thing you make copies of.

2. Then you show copies of any documents related to the incident that you filled out and dated and sent to them if there is an emaIl sent then you have a date on that email and a copy of that needs to be made as well. Screen printing is good for this but you may want to print off and scan that email as well redundancy is a good thing.

3. Showing the date of your current insurance coverage being active will work as well and you of course make multiple copies of everything and now the fun part.

4. You call that insurance company up and you threaten to file a claim with the state department of insurance as you email them copies of all the files you have on hand and you ask to speak to their legal department or who ever else handles fines from the state board of insurance because they are about to fine the ever loving X$%&*#! out of your company and your attorney is going to want to stop that before it happens.

I am the one who will be sending that report off and filing that complaint today if there is not a complete and total refund of the money owed me by your company and if I do file that claim you will be paying me a hefty amount of money on top of what you owe me to get that claim settled such that I agree to allow the state to resolve this matter peacefully for you without a fine.

If this matter cannot be settled today before I hire my attorney expect a call from the attorney I will hire and expect to pay him many thousands of dollars on top of that already huge growing sum of money you will be paying me and the state.

Or we can end this and get things handled now without the need for a long expensive court case where I win and you lose and we all get to have a laugn at your expense when we see the state board of insurance putting a huge black mark on your record as they write up a note on your file that is available and visible online to every consumer and even more worrisome all of those potential insurance agents who are looking to evaluate your company thinking they might possibly want to write insurance for their clients using your company.

What do you bet a lot of those agents will see that note and the number of comaplaints against your company and they will think you are a poorly run company and so they will avoid sending their clients to you if they can find another company that looks better to them and because of that black mark against you that is now a matter of permanent public record online with the state board of insurance they will keep on looking till they find another company that they like to work with better.

This error on your part has cost me a lot of money and if your not willing to refund that money into my bank account right now and make me whole from the illegal drafting of my bank account, then the matter will be taken to the next level with a phone call to the state board of insurance to speak with the commissioner who is a good republican and since we are involved at the highest levels in the republican party as major contributors and campaign volunteers who actually worked for free on the campaign of Governor ___________and because we just happend to donate a lot of money to the republican party for getting governor __________ elected I bet you money that I can make that insurance board commissioner jump when I call them up. They might be tacking on an extra zero or 2 for that huge fine they are going to be levying against your company.

Oh the irony of it all. LOL

Obviously you need to modify this if your governor is a leftist POS.

Also there is the banking commission as well to write to.

OBVIOUSLY lessons to be learned here include always get emails confirming they have take action on matters and never believe they have done anything they tell you they are doing for you over the phone it may just be a lie to get you off the phone. PAPER TRAIL IS A TERM YOU NEED TO MEMORIZE AND ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS YOU MUST FORM A PAPER TRAIL AND COLLECT IT ALL TOGETHER. That person you are talking to on the phone can email you a confirmation that they are taking action on a matter and that further adds to the file of evidence you keep.

Last edited:
What kind of policy is this?

How much premium is involved here?

Never, ever try to cancel a policy by voice only. If you call, get the person's name and ask for a ticket number.

Humana (and probably all the other carriers as well) record every call that comes in. Assuming you noted the date and time of your call, ask for a supervisor to review your file and check recordings for that day and time.

Threatening to use a lawyer or get the DOI involved over something that was YOUR error is fruitless.

Oh, and trying to cancel a policy retroactively in most cases is a waste of time. If this is an Obamacare or Medicare policy you will have better luck. Anything else, forgeddaboutit.

Wow! I truly appreciate all of the information.( I have not been able to respond due to no power during this crazy Georgia snow storm!)
This was a Medical Policy- NPOS- Monthly premiums were $513.67. They drafted out of a joint business account- after my partner passed away. They said he gave the permission- (but he was not alive?)
The drafts started in March 2016 and went to September 2016.
When I would call to stop the drafts- no one ever said that the policy was still active. I switched to BCBS in Feb 2016/ Cancelling Humana. I was past due in payments to Humana when I canceled the policy. I wrote them a check for the 2 months I was behind in February.
I have been told they were investigating and reviewing phone calls. They never get back to me- I have repeated the process 3 times. I feel like they have all the power. It is so frustrating!
Thank you for your time and knowledge- ya'll have been wonderful!

Thank you for letting me know that Humana always records the calls. They have been able to find a few. The recordings say that I do not know why they are drafting. The account is not mine. My business partner set it up years ago as over-draft. Not one time did costumer service ever say that I had an active policy? They state that he would have to stop the drafts. Well- he passed away a few months before this started. That was one reason I switched insurance to an individual plan. Can they legally draft out of an account put in the system years before?I can't afford an attorney - but I do not want to pay $4617- for coverage I already had. I have reported to the BBB and DOI- everyone is doing an investigation. Would it be more beneficial to go into a Humana office and talk face to face? Anyone had any experience with this?
As always - thank you for your time and help!

BBB does not review or assist in carrier complaints.

Assume there is no local agent involved. Your problem is with corporate, not any go betweens.

DOI won't be much help either.

Back