Refuses to Provide Social Security Number on App

Has anyone had any experience with a LTC client who refuses to provide ss# on an application? None of the carriers appear willing to take an ap, yet my understanding is that an applicant has the right to refuse to provide. I have sold health insurance in the past to people who refused without issue. Genworth would take the ap with the word "refused" on the application, but will not issue the policy until it is provided.

I'll assume LTC carriers like to coordinate with Medicare. Since the client is turning 65 soon, I imagine they will be surprised to learn that their Medicare number is their social security number.....and I doubt they can apply for a Med Sup without the ss#.

Thanks

Re: Refuses to Provide Social Security Number on Ap

Just curious, what was the reason he refused to disclose?

I believe that carriers use the SS# to confirm the date of birth and also, once on claim, they use the # to be sure the policyholder is not deceased.

I guess for some reason they don't like to pay benefits to a dead person.

Just curious, what was the reason he refused to disclose?

I believe that carriers use the SS# to confirm the date of birth and also, once on claim, they use the # to be sure the policyholder is not deceased.

I guess for some reason they don't like to pay benefits to a dead person.

The only reason is that he never gives it out. He has purchased health insurance in the past, and they will issue without a social. I'll also assume they shred all documents, never allow bank drafting, and do not use credit cards either. Maybe a fallout shelter in the basement too. They don't believe in traditional American medicine, use only holistic cures, drink rain water only, they make decisions based on the astrological calendar, etc.........so I think you get the picture. :goofy:

I would walk away. Life is too short to deal with this person. IMO.

I'll bet you the client would agree with you if you told him the dang gov'ment only created SSN's so that they could keep track of you and be all up in your bizness!
Then there's those black helicopters! Don't even get them started on that!! :skeptical:

Has anyone had any experience with a LTC client who refuses to provide ss# on an application? None of the carriers appear willing to take an ap, yet my understanding is that an applicant has the right to refuse to provide. I have sold health insurance in the past to people who refused without issue. Genworth would take the ap with the word "refused" on the application, but will not issue the policy until it is provided.

I'll assume LTC carriers like to coordinate with Medicare. Since the client is turning 65 soon, I imagine they will be surprised to learn that their Medicare number is their social security number.....and I doubt they can apply for a Med Sup without the ss#.

Thanks

Yankee,
The reason they need the SS # is because when someone goes on claim they get a 1099-LTC. The insurers are required by federal law to report the claim on the 1099-LTC and they need the SS # for that form.

This has been required since HIPAA passed in 1996.

There's no way around it.

If they don't want to give you the SS#, then tell them that they can call the ins. co. and provide it to them over the phone when they do their telephone interview.

sao

Yankee,
The reason they need the SS # is because when someone goes on claim they get a 1099-LTC. The insurers are required by federal law to report the claim on the 1099-LTC and they need the SS # for that form.

This has been required since HIPAA passed in 1996.

There's no way around it.

If they don't want to give you the SS#, then tell them that they can call the ins. co. and provide it to them over the phone when they do their telephone interview.

sao

Thanks for the help. Hopefully they will comply.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully they will comply.

either they comply or they don't get LTC insurance.
If they want LTCi, they don't have a choice in the matter.

I've had people who did not want to give me their SS#. So, I just send in the app without the SS# and then they just call the ins. co. and give it to a CSR over the phone.

That's fine too.

I've had some who refuse to do a bank draft but never had anyone who would not give me their SS number.

I'm not sure I would trust Herman with my SSN either . . .

Back