Rejected. Kidney Cancer

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Talked with a Medigap client today that asked about life insurance. I don't write much life any more but do still know something about impaired risks.

Two years ago he applied for coverage with Hartford. They took an app, did the physical and then rejected him.

He was 63 at the time, HBP and high cholesterol (both under control). Non-tobacco, acceptable build.

He has one kidney.

22 years prior he had kidney cancer. Kidney removed. No problems since. Is not on any "renal" meds and hasn't been for years.

They denied him due to "history" of kidney cancer and "something" in his blood work. (He couldn't recall what the something was).

He never mentioned (to Hartford) about the single kidney (didn't come up on the app or interview) nor did he say anything about the cancer. 20+ yrs cancer and treatment free, no reason to say anything.

How the heck did Hartford find out and now that he has an MIB hit (didn't have one before) is there any reason to try again?

They could have found it in the APS.

Big difference being declined for something in his blood (an unknown) or a cancer history.

MIB - have him order his so that you see what an underwriter will see.

Send all the info an a cancer questionnaire to a good brokerage to get a preQual

They specifically mentioned the cancer, something that has not been treated in 20+ years, which I found extremely odd. Can't imagine it would be in doctors notes unless they got something from a doc that saw him years ago. Even still, that should be beyond the scope of the application.

Usually there is some unfinished business in the chart notes that the underwriter has locked onto. A problem should have a beginning, a middle and a end, for an underwriter. Something may still be open in his notes. Also, has he been into see a doctor recently?

They specifically mentioned the cancer, something that has not been treated in 20+ years, which I found extremely odd. Can't imagine it would be in doctors notes unless they got something from a doc that saw him years ago. Even still, that should be beyond the scope of the application.

Hartford could just be hard on cancer or it could have been a type policy that they underwrite hard or except or decline.

I would definitely shop him. Wrote a Genworth policy on an Uncle that lost a kidney to cancer and got him standard as I recall.

If you really want to know what it was he may be able to request the reason from the company. Personally I would just start fresh maybe with the MIB information. Maybe, see if a company like LFG works and have a table shave available. The concern is it may have be something in the blood.

Lastly, if it is a big enough case you could do a trail app so you can get the APS.

has he been into see a doctor recently?

Goes 2x a year mostly to check his BP and chol, just to make sure the meds are doing what they are supposed to.

Thx for the heads up, Lee. He was looking for $250k, 10 yr term. I have asked him to tell me what was in the blood or urine that turned them off. When we were talking I zeroed in on the cancer since that really had me stumped and neglected to pursue the other.

He keeps very good records and can probably find the decline letter.

Back