Release of Agent

Aug 12, 2008

  1. Franz Kafka
    Offline

    Franz Kafka Guru

    Posts:
    1,272
    Likes Received:
    4
    Hello everyone. I am Franz Kafka and have just joined up today. I am a second year agent and don't know much.

    I have always been a little confused about the whole agency/agent relationship and have a question.

    I recently left an independent agency and called the carriers to ask how I could change agency. The carriers said my old agency would not release me. I contacted the old agency and they said they would give me a GA appointment with them.

    My question is does the old agency have the right not to release me as their agent? If they can, how long do I need to wait before I get released? and Does this mean I cannot get re-appointed with carriers I worked with under the old agency?

    I would truly appreciate if someone could explain this to me. Thank you.
     
  2. GreenSky
    Offline

    GreenSky Guru

    Posts:
    15,339
    Likes Received:
    453
    State:
    Nevada
    There is an agreement between marketers and carriers that require either a release or (typically) 6 months of inactivity to move your contract. It is one of the most dishonest piece of the FMO/IMO system.

    You might go to your current agency and tell them you'd be happy to contract as an independent if they give you a guarantee of a future unconditional release if it doesn't work out.

    By the way, what is the name of this agency so we can put them on our "sh*t list?"

    Rick
     
    GreenSky, Aug 12, 2008
    #2
  3. Franz Kafka
    Offline

    Franz Kafka Guru

    Posts:
    1,272
    Likes Received:
    4
    Thanks for the reply.

    I am a Career Agent now at the new agency and the new agency said I could get direct appointed with any carrier as Outside Business but I cannot get GA appointed with the old agency.

    I would be happy to give you the name of old agency "privately" and you can add them to the list. Is that OK?
     
  4. GreenSky
    Offline

    GreenSky Guru

    Posts:
    15,339
    Likes Received:
    453
    State:
    Nevada
    Go ahead and post the name. You're not saying anything not true, right?

    Rick
     
    GreenSky, Aug 12, 2008
    #4
  5. Franz Kafka
    Offline

    Franz Kafka Guru

    Posts:
    1,272
    Likes Received:
    4
    ICM
     
  6. TradeCraze
    Offline

    TradeCraze Expert

    Posts:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hello I am with an IMO that will not release me from companies I have done no business with ... do I have any options?
     
  7. Todd King
    Offline

    Todd King IMO/FMO Owner

    Posts:
    7,978
    Likes Received:
    1,511
    State:
    Virginia
    Yes, pick up other companies to write with while you wait out your 6 months. After you go for 6 months and don't write any business, you should be able to move your existing contracts.

    This is just rule of thumb to go by.

    With some companies you may be able to dual contract too.
     
  8. Newby
    Offline

    Newby Guru

    Posts:
    14,124
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    State:
    Indiana
    Also with some companies you have to call them up and actually cancel the contracts and then wait 6-months to recontract. Oxford and 5-Star come to mind on that rule. If you don't cancel the contract you can never transfer it no matter how long you go with no sales.

    ----------

    Plus the best weapon you have to get released is this forum. If you let the agents on the forum know the name of the FMO that won't release you it will keep other agents from going there and sometimes they will release you to get you to let everyone know they did.
     
    Newby, May 20, 2014
    #8
  9. WinoBlues
    Offline

    WinoBlues Guru

    Posts:
    19,000
    Likes Received:
    2,386
    State:
    California
    ::err:twitchy: Love it. An FMO telling you how to get an FMO to act right. Here here. That is what I like about the majority of the marketers here, Most are straight up guys.
     
  10. TradeCraze
    Offline

    TradeCraze Expert

    Posts:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    So I should name the IMO ... I am trying to allow them time to do the right thing. How long should I wait?
     
Loading...