Religion and Cold Calling - Thoughts???

One recent thread gave me this idea and I wanted to get everyone's opinions...

Suppose I were to identify myself as not only a Retirement Consultant but more accurately, add my religious beliefs in and say "Christian Retirement Consultant".

CONS:
- Obviously this would not appeal to non-Christians or non-religious people so I would be limiting my market appeal.
- This may also throw up some red flags with people.

PROS:
- It may appeal to Christians and just be enough for them to stay on the phone and entertain my offer, especially since I will be cold calling for annuities.
- If I had to describe my ideal client, it would be someone with strong Christian beliefs and values.

What are your thoughts?

It is sad but in today's world of political correctness and all these regulations, I may not even be allowed to identify myself in this way. Now I certainly don't want to start a long opinionated thread and it is not my intention to offend anyone or their opinions or beliefs, sexual orientation, race, what-you-like-in-your-coffee, etc., I am just asking for your thoughts on the above approach and if you think it would be an effective technique or not. Thanks.

I do not think you will get much traction out of this. I keep my hand on my wallet when people tell me they are Christians and launch into a financial transaction.

You never know until you test something and association marketing DOES work.

But as a Christian I do have my guard up when people bring that up in business. It's always seen as a sales tactic especially when it's in the introduction.

With some, it will attract their attention.. with others, it will be a complete turn off (and I am talking about your fellow Christians).. personally, I would not do it..

I used to get a mailer every month from Catholic Life Insurance Company. It was the craziest looking thing you ever saw.

It had a picture of the Pope on it. There was also a picture of three real old nuns. It said if you bought a policy from them, those three nuns would say a special prayer for you every month of your life. And when you died they would bless your family with the life insurance money.

I took $20,000

I used to get a mailer every month from Catholic Life Insurance Company. It was the craziest looking thing you ever saw.

It had a picture of the Pope on it. There was also a picture of three real old nuns. It said if you bought a policy from them, those three nuns would say a special prayer for you every month of your life. And when you died they would bless your family with the life insurance money.

I took $20,000

You should have consulted with an independent life insurance agent before making that purchase. You may have been taken advantage of...

I think you really need to consider the community that you are selling in. I used to live in a very religious area in Washington State and many businesses of all kinds did very well by advertising that they were Christian. Where I live now, in Mass, it would never fly.

Personally, whenever I see someone's religion advertised I immediately distrust them, but many see it as a sign that they have similar values. Do other businesses in your area do this? If so, you may want to talk to them and see what kind of response they have gotten.

I can see sooooo many reasons not to do this, but let me ask you why DO you want to present yourself in this manner?

Andy

Back