Remaining in control over the phone

After several weeks of reading the forums, and not locating an answer, how does an AH&L producer remain in control of the sale OVER THE PHONE? It’s not logical to fly to another state to show them several products and maybe close the deal. So, how do I do it?

I’ve got a nice introduction letter selling myself and alerting the prospect that I got their info and I’m a local guy and not located in Guam. I get several proposals together and email them to the client in less than 30 mins. With the enclosed proposals, I keep my conversation ambiguous to encourage questions AND to get them to call me if they wish. In closing I say that I will "follow up with you in a couple of days". It’s very professional and doesn’t sound desperate because I’m not.

Few days go by and I get an answering machine. Clear sign of another shopper. I leave a clear message of who I am, and why I’m calling so they don’t get scared. I let three to four more days go by; answering machine again. Two follow-up calls isn’t being a pest and the messages I leave each time, are quick and to my point with an even and steady tone, again selling myself and my skills as if I’ve known the client for years and I’ve got nothing to lose. Like the movie "Tommy Boy". "So what if Helen the waitress doesn’t get me the chicken wings, I got that meat lovers pizza in the trunk" –this is my line of thinking 100%.

After ten years of dealing with people over the phone, I’m very comfortable. What’s the problem here? Is this just the way it is starting out? Is this why it takes "3-5 years to build a good book of business"? Shoppers? 95% of buying folks wait 4 weeks to finally make up their mind? Another reason to buy a book of business and be done with it if this is the case. :mad:

Thanks in advance…
-CR :swoon:

I sell statewide over the phone. It does take a while to get it going as not everyone buys on the spot. I don't leave messages. If they liked me, they call.

Find out if this is what they want and what is their expected effective date. They may want someone local and not tell you. I ask if that is necessary. Remember, most people are tire kickers.

In my intro letter I say on the end words to the effect "I can help you with Life and Health products if this is what you were looking for instead". And I AM local, I say this too in my intro letter. Yeah, tire kickers, you ain't kiddin. Lots of 'em. I knew this going into this business but to tolerate it for 3-5 years? Uh uh. Visa will have a hit man out looking for me as Charlie Sheen would say.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Before you call a lead, you send them out proposals and take a few days before you call them?...In hopes that they will call you???

In my opinion, never show your cards first. By sending them the quotes, they really don't need you anymore. They got the information they requested. You didn't give yourself a chance to establish yourself as an expert or a resource.

Also, call them as soon as the lead hits your inbox. Don't wait 2 days. As soon as a lead comes in, it should be your first priority. In my opinion, those are the 2 fundamental mistakes you're making if you're working leads.

But this is a thread about remaining in control over the phone...so when you call, just tell them you received their request for health/life quotes and want to verify some information before providing quotes over the phone. Start confirming the info they submitted and get them talking about their health, family, budget etc. and it flows from there. Lay out the process for them and act as an advisor instead of a salesman and you are in control the whole time.

Yeah. Call your prospects right away, establish to your prospects who you are what you are going to do for them. I agree with JRoot, verify the info you received. Qualify them and ask questions. They will tell you where they are and what they are looking for. I take them right into a desktop share, show plans, explain how they work, make a recommendation and ultimately, they choose. Ask for the business and straight into an application. Done. If you can't get a 1 call close, no problem. If you do a good job and fill their need, they should buy from you in the near future if you keep good followup.

You will find plenty of threads on what questions to ask and how to qualify. Happy Selling!

Establish expectations from the beginning. Never send out proposals without an appointment setup unless they are "just shopping". "Just shopping" customers go into the autoresponder and I do not put any effort into.

Always ask when they need coverage by... If they give you a date, explain the underwriting process, and establish a game plan. I'm blunt. If they stand me up on an appointment once, I will give them one more chance. After that, I leave a vm/email telling them to call me if they're intrested. I will never leave multiple message. I'm too busy to chase people.

Copy that everyone. Thanks. Jroot’s right, I was showing all my cards. With your guys’ way, I may even close over the phone. Again, with the advent of the Internet and Next Day Air, there’s no point flying or driving one hundred, two hundred miles one way to a prospect’s house (at least not right now).

Indmedins is right. From qualifying to product recommendations to the app. That easy huh?

Ok, I’ll do it this way and if they don’t pick up the phone right away (some haven’t that’s why I switched tactics), I’ll try them one more time and/or move on. Of course I’m going to save this thread.

CR :twitchy:

every new lead get called for 5 days until reached and emailed simultaneously until reached day 1-7, week 2-4, month 2-3, 6, 9 ,12 automatically.

I use a contact manager and automation software called prophet for conversion.

I purchase 25 internet leads a day 4-5 days a week.

conversion rates are 1/10 if bad leads included

1/8 if just good leads included

Always get credit for bad leads.

The script is simple

Hello first name this is Jack from Paradigm I received your request for health insurance. and then i wing it depending on how they react.

Message left this is Jack from Paradigm, First Name Im calling regarding your request for health insurance. We are a leading local insurance broker right here in Atlanta. and the phone # and Im sure I'll be able to help. I be in my office till about 5:30 today. If I'm not available just leave a message and I'll return your call prompty, Thanks and have agreat day. About 15% or more will call back

Dpnt overthink this just do what you do consistently and then do more of what works

Be that phone technique , marketing, or particular close. 90% of my closes are , well ded 1 is blank ded 2 is blank and ded 3 is blank which would be best for your family then shut up and when they choose the sale is closed. The key is to talk at right time not all the time

Indmedins is right. From qualifying to product recommendations to the app. That easy huh?

Ok, I’ll do it this way and if they don’t pick up the phone right away (some haven’t that’s why I switched tactics), I’ll try them one more time and/or move on. Of course I’m going to save this thread.

CR :twitchy:

Not necessarily that easy (this is hard work), but that is the course I take. I get hit with objections and stalls along the way, but with a little more questioning, listening, explanation, and solid answers, the prospect can turn to a client. Sometimes after a presentation, I find out they were just shoppers. No big deal. My next lead will be a client.

As for calling 2 times. I call many times, lol. I personally send an email out right away (just a welcome email with a link to my site), call and leave two messages over two days, maybe one more message a few days later. Then, I simply keep calling thereafter and leave no messages. If I really can't get a hold of them, I send a proposal, but that hardly works for me. I find, If I can't get a hold of them right away, they are shoppers. But, that isn't always the case. That's why I keep calling old leads, I never do know. I might miss sales if I don't. :)

Back