Rental Car Company Will Be Charging for Damage

bdp31770

Upon returning the car, the agent noted some scratches that we didnt notice in the initial inspection before I drove off with the car. I'm not really disputing that those happened when I had the car, because I cant prove they were there already and dont remember them.

I got a letter from the rental company saying they would send me the charges and to report it to my insurance company, which I did. However, I then found out that Chase Visa covers damage like this when you use their card to rent a car.

So, can I tell my car insurance company I'm going to report it to Chase instead? I havent received the bill yet from the car rental company. Thank you for any advice.

----------

I should've waited before posting the above post and now can't see how to delete it. From what I've read I still have to report the accident to my auto insurance co, which has a $1000 deductible, and then Chase Visa will hopefully pick up any charges my auto insurance co wont pay.

You pretty much figured it out, the credit card companies usually pay what the insurance company doesn't. In many cases, especially with a $1000 deductible, the repairs may be less then the deductible, so Chase will pay in full and the insurance company can almost ignore the claim. It will always be there, but with a $0 payout.

Dan

Back