Rental Car Reimbursement Rules

OregonLad

Had accident in Oregon 1/12/12, and my car was totaled, other party was at fault, and their ins carrier is Hartford, and mine is State F. Offered settlement within 1 week and carriers both told me I had to accept and only had 5 added days of Rental covered. However they did not pay Settlement until 2/13/12 .... I am stuck with over $600 of rental, why when I did not have car to drive? What are the rules on rental when I had no other option without check in hand to buy another vehicle?

Why did it take so long to get the settlement check? This is usually caused by a delay in paperwork, which if they were waiting on you, they are not necessarily responsible for that time.

If it was delayed on their part, I would go back and ask for an adjustment.

Now, why is it $600 in rental? That seems absurdly high for a rental car for 2 1/2 weeks, if I'm doing my math right (7 days for offer, plus 5, total 12 days covered out of 31, leaves 19...)

19 days times $25 a day = $475, assuming you paid even close to $25 a day for a rental car, which is still high, but it happens.

Dan

Delay was in part caused by title of vehicle (joint with Father) He sent in paperwork to SF to transfer title to me but they either lost it as this caused at least 1 week delay. Numerous calls to Hartford and State Farm went unheeded. Home (Claim) Office delayed issuance of check (IMO) until I had to drive up to get it. Rental car payment is $30 per day X19 or 20 days= 570-600!

I am an adjuster and the laws vary from state to state. Most require rental coverage for at least 24 hours after the settlement offer is made. Most companies actually cover 2-3 days after the offer is made. They are not required to pay while you try to get title situation sorted out. I know it sucks but they don't have to actually have the check in your hand either, its just based on when the offer is made.

Back