Rental Reimbursement

LAEGER

I tried searching this forum but did not find any info on reimbursement. I have had friends in the past rent a car from a family member & get a reimbursement check for the days of use. I have full coverage with $30 a day 30 day limit. Someone hit my car & they admitted fault. I went through my insurance to get the car repaired. I have called my insurance a few times & ask about rental reimbursement. I have been told there not sure they do that or they dont know what I am talking about or they will look into that & get back to me. 2 weeks & no ones contacted me. I called my agent (that I have been with for almost 20 years ) & he said he has never heard of renting from a friend/family member & getting a reimbursement check? He told me to call the other company & ask for it. I just googled Rental Reimbursement & found " loss of use compensation ". I emailed my insurance & they told me they dont cash out on rental car. I was told they will not bill the other insurance for loss of use & I would have to contact them for it.

I dont want to " cash out " for the rental & I am not sure if " loss of use compensation " is what I need? I want " Rental Reimbursement " to pay for a family members car.

How should I file for this or what do I need to tell my agent?

Last edited:
If you purchased rental reimbursement coverage, you should get paid for the number of days your car was in the shop.

Some carriers will "cash out" as they say....others will require that you get a car from Avis or Enterprise on a direct bill payment at a much lower rate.

Good Luck!

There are 2 different types of rental car coverage. One type pays you a set amount per day for a period of time while your car is in the shop. They pay this whether you rent a car or not. You could easily use this to pay a family member.

Most policies rental car coverage pays for the direct costs of renting a car, i.e., hertz, enterprise, etc. They will usually only pay either direct or if there is a rental car receipt to reimburse. In this coverage, I've never heard of them paying for using a family members car.

If your agent has never heard of them paying for using a family members car, you have reimbursement coverage (again, that is far more common). It will be hard to collect on this.

Dan

Latest posts

Back