Replacement Forms for Private Insurance on a Med Supp Plan in Oregon

quackattack99

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi all,
I am writing a UHC, plan F, policy tomorrow on a client in Oregon. I believe he is currently covered under a private/group plan at work, which will be replaced by Medicare and the med sup policy. In the enrollment kit, there are two replacement forms for current med sup/MA plans, but none for private plans. I went on to the producer's website, and found the same thing. So, my question is, do I even need a replacement form under this scenario? Or is it just for current med sup/MA policies that are being replaced.

Thanks.

Yes you do. If you are replacing any insurance the replacement form should be submitted. If the application ask, which it does, about prior coverage and you put down individual/group plan and then don't submit the form, they will ask. Even if they don't require it, some carriers do and it is a good practice to get into.

Mark "other" and put Group/Individual to Medicare in the explanation.

I learned this from experience. One fella's group retiree plan was to terminate him at the start of Medicare, therefore I reasoned that he was not "replacing" coverage he was just getting new coverage to start where the old dropped him off. Nope, the company asked for a replacement form.

edited to add: I just really looked at that form up close, I guess it has been a while since I've really read the whole thing line for line. It clearly says for MA or Medigap, so in this person's situation and the client I referred to, you shouldn't need it. Doesn't mean some moron at the company isn't going to ask for it.

Last edited:
You don't need it. It's for Medigap and Medicare Advantage replacements. So really not unless he is already on Medicare and has a group Medigap policy which you are replacing.

I wrote the policy yesterday, and he does have current coverage, through Pacificsource, which he will be replacing with Medicare. I did not complete the replacement form. I decided to call UHC this morning to confirm that I did not need to complete a replacement form. Well, the guy I talked to at the PHD didn't know, so he transferred me to enrollment. The lady in enrollment also didn't know. She said the MA/Med supp replacement form is all they have. I could alter that form if I wanted, have the client sign it and send it in with the app. Or, I could just send it in without the replacement, and if there is a problem UHC will be sure to let me know. She said that since the client is in his IEP, he MAY not have to complete a replacement form. Bottom line is, based on my conversations this morning, UHC doesn't even know the answer to this question! Frustrating!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UPDATE: I just spoke to UHC again. Got a different person this time. Now, they are telling me that I DO need to complete the replacement form, even though it is a private insurance policy through work. Does not matter that the client is in his Federal IEP, or that the only replacement form provided is the MA/Med Supp form. I am just supposed to use that form and mark "other", as Gordon posted earlier in this thread. I suppose I could call again, and probably get a different answer:)

Last edited:
When in doubt, get it signed. I have never had a company complain about too much paperwork, only not enough. If it turns out you don't need it you can just destroy it. If you need it, then you've got it.

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks
I just had the client sign the form. Wow, talk about confusing the client. If UHC is going to require a replacement form in this situation, they really need to come up with a more appropriate form. The client asks, "I don't even have a Medicare policy yet', why am I signing this?" My response, "because UHC requires it, even if it is just replacing your group employer insurance, that is why I marked other here". Then I go on to explain how I know the form is confusing, and UHC should have something more appropriate, but this is what we have to work with. The client reluctantly signed the form, while I know he was questioning his trust in me and my competence. I can't imagine that this scenario is so uncommon that UHC can't or won't properly address it!

Last edited:
That's what I'm going to do. Thanks
I just had the client sign the form. Wow, talk about confusing the client. If UHC is going to require a replacement form in this situation, they really need to come up with a more appropriate form. The client asks, "I don't even have a Medicare policy yet', why am I signing this?" My response, "because UHC requires it, even if it is just replacing your group employer insurance, that is why I marked other here". Then I go on to explain how I know the form is confusing, and UHC should have something more appropriate, but this is what we have to work with. The client reluctantly signed the form, while I know he was questioning his trust in me and my competence. I can't imagine that this scenario is so uncommon that UHC can't or won't properly address it!

They don't require it! Did you draw attention to the form? I can't imagine the client would just happen to have the same concerns about what he was signing as you had before asking him to sign it.

At least act like you know what your doing.

Do you work for UHC? If I were you, I would double check with them before being so sure of yourself. I got my info directly from the horses mouth, which in this case is UHC! Also, if you look at the form, you will see that anyone with half a brain, that actually takes the time to read it, will have concerns. My point is, you are probably right, having the client sign the form was unnecessary. However, UHC themselves can't even provide a definitive answer. As far as acting like I know what I am doing goes, I decided to follow the advice of another veteran agent on this thread, be safe, and get it signed. I am somewhat new to this, so maybe I am way off base, but "acting" like you know what you are doing, as opposed to getting the right info for your client, seems like a disservice to the client and the agent. Especially, when a week later you show up at their door step with a form you "forgot" to have them sign during the initial application process. But, hey, at least I acted like I knew what I was doing!!

Last edited:
Do you work for UHC? If I were you, I would double check with them before being so sure of yourself. I got my info directly from the horses mouth, which in this case is UHC!

You just need to do a better job of explaining why you need the signature. Basically, don't make a big deal about it. Tell them it was intended primarily for people who already have Medicare but covers your situation as well and then move on.

Also, I bet you were unsure of yourself and it showed. The form looked wrong and you were nervous and he picked up on it. Next time you'll know you need it and won't worry about it and it will go smoother.

Back