Replacement, or not, question

slacker

Expert
I get a lead card, visit prospect who is a GI prospect only, due to recent cancerous tumor being removed but excellent prognosis and otherwise quite healthy. Proceeds to tell me he has applied for a Globe policy but also has 2 policies with company A, one of which for a small amount he has had for years and one of which purchased recently which is a 3 year ROP. He tells me the Globe people called about a question he answered "no" to, he gave them the corrected answer and they said they would be back to him. He was adamant about waiting for Globe's response so I told him they would be declining him and I gave him a quote for a GI with company B and told him I would check back with him.
I checked back a week later, coincidently right after he got the letter from Globe declining him. He then proceeds to tell me he had been thinking about my quote and decided he was going to take my policy offering which had been intended to be in lieu of the Globe application, and cancelled the latest policy he had purchased from company A which I can certainly understand since my quote would give him twice the coverage for the same price and a 2 year ROP vs his current 32 months.
And the dilemma is, as you probably know where I'm going, company B does not allow replacements in my state. Company B said all they need to see is the box checked "no" on the application as to it being a replacement and my state insurance dept says they would probably still consider it to be a replacement even if I did it 5 years down the road, however as long as I got something signed stating he knows exactly what he is doing they would be fine with it as long as it was in his best interest. Approx. $1700AP, thoughts? Sorry so long!

I would tell your prospect something like “this policy is not Intended to replace any of your existing policies.” And if he cancels
Something else that’s on him .

I always start by owning my clients. This keeps me clear as to my own objectives... that being said, I know they get a good agent. Clients come first, companies second.

Personally, I do what I can to be as compliant as possible - not because I fear the consequences but because I have integrity.

Follow your heart on this one. You won’t get in trouble either way, you’ll just have to live through your conscious of guilt or feeling you did the right thing.

Pretty sure I know what company this is since it is GI and they do not accept replacements in your state.

As you have written the situation, it does appear you can honestly answer the question no, since it is not replacing any policy currently in force or pending as he has already cancelled the policy. Of course, as you have said, the state may still consider it a replacement.

I would be tempted to walk away. If not, I would have him write out a statement in his own hand explaining that he cancelled the policy of his own initiative prior to the application with you, that in no way did you ask him to do so, that you were merely discussing the policy you knew Globe was going to decline and then have him sign it.

To me this is a situation were you could easily get caught up even though as described you did nothing wrong.

I get a lead card, visit prospect who is a GI prospect only, due to recent cancerous tumor being removed but excellent prognosis and otherwise quite healthy. Proceeds to tell me he has applied for a Globe policy but also has 2 policies with company A, one of which for a small amount he has had for years and one of which purchased recently which is a 3 year ROP. He tells me the Globe people called about a question he answered "no" to, he gave them the corrected answer and they said they would be back to him. He was adamant about waiting for Globe's response so I told him they would be declining him and I gave him a quote for a GI with company B and told him I would check back with him.
I checked back a week later, coincidently right after he got the letter from Globe declining him. He then proceeds to tell me he had been thinking about my quote and decided he was going to take my policy offering which had been intended to be in lieu of the Globe application, and cancelled the latest policy he had purchased from company A which I can certainly understand since my quote would give him twice the coverage for the same price and a 2 year ROP vs his current 32 months.
And the dilemma is, as you probably know where I'm going, company B does not allow replacements in my state. Company B said all they need to see is the box checked "no" on the application as to it being a replacement and my state insurance dept says they would probably still consider it to be a replacement even if I did it 5 years down the road, however as long as I got something signed stating he knows exactly what he is doing they would be fine with it as long as it was in his best interest. Approx. $1700AP, thoughts? Sorry so long!

If he has already cancelled the existing policy, what is there to replace? Is he wanting to replace the first policy he had with company A too?

Pretty sure I know what company this is since it is GI and they do not accept replacements in your state.

As you have written the situation, it does appear you can honestly answer the question no, since it is not replacing any policy currently in force or pending as he has already cancelled the policy. Of course, as you have said, the state may still consider it a replacement.

I would be tempted to walk away. If not, I would have him write out a statement in his own hand explaining that he cancelled the policy of his own initiative prior to the application with you, that in no way did you ask him to do so, that you were merely discussing the policy you knew Globe was going to decline and then have him sign it.

To me this is a situation were you could easily get caught up even though as described you did nothing wrong.

Thanks for the thoughts Vol, I have not contacted him again and if he does contact me I will have him write his story

Back